needing a new MT clutch procedure

The throwout bearing isn't a source of a clutch that chatters. Its likely caused by burn't/rough sections on the flywheel when the pressure plate, and disc mate up with it.

Another potential source of clutch chatter could be the diaphragm spring. Sometimes a few fingers will warp due to heat. So the clutch friction plate has uneven pressure.

Yes, the symptom of clutch chatter can be noticeable at idle in neutral................although, most evident when shifting during the engagement of the clutch.

All these parts are not visible from the outside. The trans must be dropped for access.

I just wish that rear main seal was weeping to have the most imminent reason to shell out this good coin here and now

Another potential source of clutch chatter could be the diaphragm spring. Sometimes a few fingers will warp due to heat. So the clutch friction plate has uneven pressure.

Yes, the symptom of clutch chatter can be noticeable at idle in neutral................although, most evident when shifting during the engagement of the clutch.

All these parts are not visible from the outside. The trans must be dropped for access.
That diaphragm spring could be the spongy feeling I was getting after a long hot day in the 80s

I just wish that rear main seal was weeping to have the most imminent reason to shell out this good coin here and now
If that main seal were to weep on the flywheel, that would cause clutch chatter as oil cooks between the flywheel, pressure plate, and disc.

well that car nut video FINALLY gave a good shot at what the RMS looks like on the 5VZ
i was not aware it was that large of a seal!

and T100 crusties in ChicagoLand

CLUTCH HOUSING TRANSMISSION CASE MTM​

R150F (9501- )R

331028B.png

"although, most evident when shifting during the engagement of the clutch."

i honestly do not think i am experiencing ANY of that right there currently

i am trying to find the several pins/studs on the diagrams that go into the flywheel that are the locator pins for the pressure plate disk that maybe a separate part not included with that flywheel
cannot locate them at the moment, are they in a different diagram?

Last edited:
i am trying to find the several pins/studs on the diagrams that go into the flywheel that are the locator pins for the clutch disk that maybe a separate part not included with that flywheel
cannot locate them at the moment, are they in a different diagram?

think i found it in here!

CRANKSHAFT PISTON​

(9501-0409)5VZFE

MAH405A.png

Local temps into the upper 80s today
Long half day of wheelin' them broken concrete trails
Stopped into DT to get wheel balance appt.
And yessir I can hear that t.o. bearing chatter (however faint it is) with door open and truck runnin
Bent into it and applied light hand pressure to 3rd pedal and baAampf... Chatter went away

I wonder why the tranny shop said they heard not a thing going on in that bearing a month ago when it was 40 out

Ambient temps make a big diffie or whut?

That t.o. bearing must only make the noticeable chatter when it's 'hot' out
I didn't notice it the past few days in the colder 40s and 50s like it made a bitty racket when it was hotter 80s

Usually when a clutch is chattering, it's the flywheel that needs resurfacing along with a new pressure plate, and disc. Might as well replace the throwout bearing while at it. I can't explain it any simpler.

Back