New (to me) 2016 Tacoma - A few issues

I love my trd long bed do cab '16 only issue was recall on thrird brake lite leak and cuz it leaked i'm getting new carpet and headliner from dealer in a couple weeks. I did just change out original battery last summer. Put in an Interstate. Guy said Interstate makes Toyota battery. View attachment 34690
Idk, about interstate making toyota batteries, but do know many are made by exide, and panasonic.

My battery is in its 7th yr. I expected it to die last winter. But my circumstances changed to where I had a garage for the truck. This year, the truck rests in the driveway. I expect it to go to recycling when the temperature drops below 0F. Even with temps in the teens, it struggles a little.

I'll source a battery with a minimum of 800 cca. Price is secondary. Warranty is tertiary.

Those mornings at -20F are tough starting.

I disregarded the new 2015's, waited and bought a new 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab Jan 2nd 2016. Was my 4th Toyota truck and the worst. In the 1st 6 months it was in the shop more than any of my 50+ previous vehicles. More than a 1995 Dodge K car I bought new for the wife. As far as batteries my factory battery died at 18k miles. Replaced with a 1000 cca DEKA. I had the cluster replaced, the tranny flashed 3 times, the radiator support bushings replaced, the 4 tpms sensors replaced, the rear differential cover recall, issues with the radio rebooting, a nasty grease smear inside the driver door that repeatedly showed up on my glass, and a recall notice for frame perforation. That recall was the last straw. I kept it 5.5 years and loved the truck. I sold it to a Toyota dealer May 2021 with 25k miles on it for exactly what I paid new. I had added a nice throaty exhaust, a K & N CAI, 5 X BFG KO2's on 4runner trail wheels, Pro grille, Pro headlights, BAJA fogs, nerfs, Bilstein 5100 shocks/struts to level, floor liners, tool box and Clazzio leather seat covers. Within 3 months of buying it I regretted selling my 58k mile 2008 Prerunner. I never had a warm and fuzzy 200k mile feeling about the 3rd gen. Hated the no-low end torque of the Atkinson cycle 3.5 and the transmission was like a Nissan CVT. It did get 18 mpg city and over 25 mpg highway. I paid it off in 27 months and the final 3 years were trouble free but that's because I didn't drive it much. I do attribute some issues to being the 1st model year of the 3rd gen. Everything except that power train. After I sold it I bought 2 2nd gens, a 2012 150k miles and 2008 83k miles, and banked $3500. Been a very happy camper since then. The 4.0 was the best V6 that Toyota ever built. Now I have modded my 2008 to have the same, or better, features that my 2016 had. Really hope the 4th gen is better. You can find 4.0 engines with 300k to 400k miles still running strong. I doubt you will ever see that with the current 3.5.
20210526_115018.jpg
20210804_155946.jpglevel avatar red.jpg

Last edited:
Not big on blue trucks, but that taco in the mid pic looks awesome.
I agree. After selling the 2016 blue one I bought the 2012 pyrite mica which is my favorite color. It had 150k miles and runs better and drives as good as the 2016. I immediately flushed and changed all the fluids, added better speakers, husky liners, tool box, running boards, Clazzio seat covers and 4runner SR5 wheels. Then 30 days later I found the 2008 with only 83k miles and it ran so good that I bought it too. Did the same things to the 2008. Then I made the mistake of asking my son if he wanted one while secretly hoping he would take the blue 2008. The fart took the 2012. Since I am retired and only drive 2500 miles a year (have a AWD daily suv) I figure the 2008 will outlive me so I am good with it. I do like the e-locker and the sport seats in the 2008. Have since added 2022 3rd gen struts/coils to level it, better grille and headlights, hood struts, brand new 2022 4runner wheels and tires, anytime fog light mod, an android head unit, rear camera and a remote start. Happy with the truck but not so much with the color. It does run and drive like a brand new truck. Feels good to see 2 Tacomas in the yard.

spiker eng hood struts - Copy.jpg

I've always thought the 3rd Gen grill was modeled after a catfish open mouth.

In my eye, the 2nd Gen has a more sophisticated, smooth, rugged appearance. It looks like it lives to be a truck wanting to work.

The 3rd Gens looks more for show than for work.

boo!
there are NOT ENOUGH blue trucks out there
i rocked one sharp blue one for a couple years
8H8 colour code old school
I owned a 93 4wd v6 pickup that was blue with silver graphics down the side. Only bought it as a leftover that no one wanted cause of no a/c. I offered 9k in 94 to the dealer on it which they refused. It sat a few more months on their lot. I made the same offer again telling them how long does it need to sit unsold. A few days later they phoned me...they accepted my offer. This was the only blue truck ever owned to this day.

I've always thought the 3rd Gen grill was modeled after a catfish open mouth.

In my eye, the 2nd Gen has a more sophisticated, smooth, rugged appearance. It looks like it lives to be a truck wanting to work.

The 3rd Gens looks more for show than for work.
3rd gen got more porkier to. Seems more people wanted bigger cabs also. I never became one of those double cab owners. I really havn't got any beefs with my 2020 access cab. I've loaded, and towed with it a decent amount already, and its done just fine.

Please don't misunderstand me. I have no qualms with the 3rd Gen. They just don't pull my trigger.

I'm sure the truck is capable within its limits.

Please don't misunderstand me. I have no qualms with the 3rd Gen. They just don't pull my trigger.

I'm sure the truck is capable within its limits.
the rotted like a grapefruit (after less than a dozen winters!) Gen2 front undercover shield thing definitely does not pull my trigger!

the rotted like a grapefruit (after less than a dozen winters!) Gen2 front undercover shield thing definitely does not pull my trigger!
Dude....you need to let go. Rust happens. It can't be stopped. It can be accelerated by poor maintenance, road conditions, weather.......many factors.

If you are so displeased with the truck, perhaps you should consider selling it or trading for a Honda Ridgeline.

FWIW, I'm talking about aesthetics.

I think it's the coating or lack of coating that's bad business
Not that quick to that extent
This is not the great lakes region here

"you should consider....trading for a Honda Ridgeline"
That is a cold thing to say to anybody much less a Toyota owner. I was insulted and you weren't even talking to me. 5 demerit points to you sir.

Dude....you need to let go. Rust happens. It can't be stopped. It can be accelerated by poor maintenance, road conditions, weather.......many factors.

If you are so displeased with the truck, perhaps you should consider selling it or trading for a Honda Ridgeline.

FWIW, I'm talking about aesthetics.
so ya i saw some rusty GEN1 tacos at the Upullit salvage in Lincoln NE... this was a couple years ago during my local research
one was a 95.5 that had a run in with a deer and totalled
apparently this truck was a farming truck on gravel roads, the frame had chip spots everywhere with small bits of rust WHICH is normal, paint gets chipped rust spots form from any watery
BUT... i took my hammer and pounded as hard as i could get at everywhere and IT WAS SOLID.. ping ping ping ping ping no crunching

then took same hammer to the taco next door that musta been a Lincoln city truck
it too had rust under... think it was a '96 that had relocated from Michigan to the Bluffs in Iowa where it was dealer undercoated in 2000 (i ran a CarFax on the VIN)
that same hammer destroyed the frame with massive holes punched out
trucks had very similar mileage

so ya, rust happens... i have rusty metal table legs in the backyard under a project restore
its the EXOTIC toyota rust that confounds I to this day that i had absolut no idea about any of that and the seriousness of

I agree. After selling the 2016 blue one I bought the 2012 pyrite mica which is my favorite color. It had 150k miles and runs better and drives as good as the 2016. I immediately flushed and changed all the fluids, added better speakers, husky liners, tool box, running boards, Clazzio seat covers and 4runner SR5 wheels. Then 30 days later I found the 2008 with only 83k miles and it ran so good that I bought it too. Did the same things to the 2008. Then I made the mistake of asking my son if he wanted one while secretly hoping he would take the blue 2008. The fart took the 2012. Since I am retired and only drive 2500 miles a year (have a AWD daily suv) I figure the 2008 will outlive me so I am good with it. I do like the e-locker and the sport seats in the 2008. Have since added 2022 3rd gen struts/coils to level it, better grille and headlights, hood struts, brand new 2022 4runner wheels and tires, anytime fog light mod, an android head unit, rear camera and a remote start. Happy with the truck but not so much with the color. It does run and drive like a brand new truck. Feels good to see 2 Tacomas in the yard.

View attachment 34707
spiker-eng-hood-struts-copy-jpg.34707

that is another thing!
those stupid rusted crusted bolts that are on the headlight assembly... how do those get rusted? my Gen1 taco has no rust like that, i do wipe engine down now more often than i used to
but my relatives '11 single cab had those same rusty bots that i bot some new ones and coated the threads with sheep fat and spray the tops before winter
why would they NOT use better bolts that resist corrosion there?

What I don't understand is couldn't Toyota save millions in frame replacements by just dipping the frames in galvanize like a boat trailer? Just sayin. I know a guy who works at the Toyota dealer and he said Toyota pays the dealership around 16 k for every frame change out! That's crazy!

Back