New (to me) 2016 Tacoma - A few issues

Rust happens on every brand car.....

Rust is not the soul province of Toyota.
um yeah my nephew has a '98 Sebring convertible he bot used with comparable mileage and climate driven in he says
i took a peek underneath to compare to my old '96 Corolla, both cars sit low, and i was astounded at HOW LITTLE RUST if any were on his, especially the fuel and brake lines and fuel filler tube

What I don't understand is couldn't Toyota save millions in frame replacements by just dipping the frames in galvanize like a boat trailer? Just sayin. I know a guy who works at the Toyota dealer and he said Toyota pays the dealership around 16 k for every frame change out! That's crazy!
i am still doing research, but a main culprit from some used Gen3s looked at on the local Yota lot are the peecoating on the various welds that are spotty

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Glove Wood Bumper Automotive wheel system
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Perhaps the PO of the Sebring kept it in a garage every winter......... you just don't know the maintenance/service history.

Very hard to make a 1 to 1 comparison to generate a conclusion.

that is true! don't know the history of the car
my nephew is driving it currently in this salted slop :eek:
but spring rain causes rust as well

In my area, with 3" annual snow and little to zero salt on the roads, we still see a lot of 1st gen Tacos,1st/2nd gen 4runners, and a rare 2nd gen Taco, with frame rust. There are usually 2 or 3 on craigslist with rusted frames. I was astounded that I received a recall notice for frame perforation on my 3rd gen Taco. That just proves that Toyota still uses the same frame prep as they have in previous gen trucks. 3, of my 6, Toyota trucks had either frame replacements or frame treatments many years after production. I read a story many years ago that Toyota had to replace rear brakes, drum to drum differentials, and gas tank straps on a ton of new 2nd gens. The brakes were rusted solid from being transported by sea. I see Fords with similar issues in much smaller numbers. Chevy trucks seem to rust from the top down on the body panels instead of the frame. In my nearly 50 years of buying vehicles I always inspect frames first. I also always buy southern vehicles. A few years ago I was helping my wife search for a 1-2 year old Highlander. We looked at one, that had been a Maryland vehicle, and with 20k miles every nut and bolt on it was rusty. I worked at a dealer in my youth and I used to make side money on weekends doing hot spray undercoating on new and used cars. I never understood why dealers stopped doing this to every car. Was a nasty job to do but saved many frames. I still question the Toyota post warranty frame treatments. If the person doesn't spray into ever opening in the frame then the job is incomplete.

LOL
i was checking out a brand new Tundra in the local dealer showroom a couple years ago
FIRST THING i went after to check was that frame

In my area, with 3" annual snow and little to zero salt on the roads, we still see a lot of 1st gen Tacos,1st/2nd gen 4runners, and a rare 2nd gen Taco, with frame rust. There are usually 2 or 3 on craigslist with rusted frames. I was astounded that I received a recall notice for frame perforation on my 3rd gen Taco. That just proves that Toyota still uses the same frame prep as they have in previous gen trucks. 3, of my 6, Toyota trucks had either frame replacements or frame treatments mBany years after production. I read a story many years ago that Toyota had to replace rear brakes, drum to drum differentials, and gas tank straps on a ton of new 2nd gens. The brakes were rusted solid from being transported by sea. I see Fords with similar issues in much smaller numbers. Chevy trucks seem to rust from the top down on the body panels instead of the frame. In my nearly 50 years of buying vehicles I always inspect frames first. I also always buy southern vehicles. A few years ago I was helping my wife search for a 1-2 year old Highlander. We looked at one, that had been a Maryland vehicle, and with 20k miles every nut and bolt on it was rusty. I worked at a dealer in my youth and I used to make side money on weekends doing hot spray undercoating on new and used cars. I never understood why dealers stopped doing this to every car. Was a nasty job to do but saved many frames. I still question the Toyota post warranty frame treatments. If the person doesn't spray into ever opening in the frame then the job is incomplete.
Been years since i saw a gen1 tacoma on the roads here. We go through salt by the metric tons every winter. Our dealer was replacing gen1 tacoma, and tundra frames as fast as a pile of them arrived. You could be without your tacoma for a year waiting for your turn to get a frame replacement.

I worked with a guy, that grew up in Wisconsin, and he said they got roughly 7 or 8 years out of cars there when he was young. Said his family had a row of rusting vehicles on their property when they moved here 30 years ago. I know this was before manufacturers pre-treated vehicles as extensive as they do now. I guess back then fluid film wasn't a thing.

Back