Oil change

at around 18 minutes in he opens a 40 year old CAN of Mobil 1 he found in the antique place

Last edited:
This guys a regular genius....I buy mobil1 when on sale, and only as much as I need to do a yearly oil change. Never had an issue with that brand being bad...even after running it for 15k mile oil change intervals when I had my tundra.

If one paid attention to the video....its generally safe to keep 3-5 years. If you want to store mobil1 indefinitely, far be it from me to stop you.

One shouldn't go by these online video's, especially this one...they need to read the owners manual, and go by that....after all they made your vehicle.
Btw, what's the point of these useless videos?

Last edited:
Why would you want to store oil for multiple years??? I mean it isn't a rare item. You can get motor oil just about anywhere, even the grocery store.

Just ordered a 5 qt jug of mobil1 extended service off eBay for less than I can buy it here locally, plus free shipping to my door...can't beat that with a stick.
Why would you want to store oil for multiple years??? I mean it isn't a rare item. You can get motor oil just about anywhere, even the grocery store.
You listen to some of these internet video quacks, you'll be changing your oil every week cause it looks dirty, or tastes bad.

I've said before. I change every 5K, as suggested by the '06 Tacoma Owner's Manual. None of these internet gurus know nearly as much as the Engineers who developed, designed, built and tested these engines. The gurus try to rely on an oil analysis, but they fail to realize when the oil analysis shows bad results........its too late, the damage is done. The analysis is not predictive, it is reactive.

It isn't detrimental to change too often, it can be catastrophic to change too infrequently.

I figure an oil change or 2 extra is much less expensive than an engine rebuild at any mileage. My DIY oil change costs about $30-35 roughly 4X/year. If I change at 10K, I save a whopping $70. To me, risking the cost of an engine rebuild to save $70 is a poor choice.

In truth, you don't have to change the engine oil. It will run.....for awhile.....then it will fail.

I'm not saying to change every 100 miles, I am saying it is best practice to follow the Maintenance Interval detailed in the Owner's Manual.

Why do we never hear about the owner who was running extended oil change who had an engine failure related to oil????

Last edited:
i went 7280 taco miles on this gen2 4cyl with the 0w20 fullsynthetic
did i do bad damage to it ? ? ?

at 7280 that synthetic oil looked dark AF compared to the fresh synthetic put in

can you imagine it being TWICE as dark going twice as many tacoMiles
:eek:

I've said before. I change every 5K, as suggested by the '06 Tacoma Owner's Manual. None of these internet gurus know nearly as much as the Engineers who developed, designed, built and tested these engines. The gurus try to rely on an oil analysis, but they fail to realize when the oil analysis shows bad results........its too late, the damage is done. The analysis is not predictive, it is reactive.

It isn't detrimental to change too often, it can be catastrophic to change too infrequently.

I figure an oil change or 2 extra is much less expensive than an engine rebuild at any mileage. My DIY oil change costs about $30-35 roughly 4X/year. If I change at 10K, I save a whopping $70. To me, risking the cost of an engine rebuild to save $70 is a poor choice.

In truth, you don't have to change the engine oil. It will run.....for awhile.....then it will fail.

I'm not saying to change every 100 miles, I am saying it is best practice to follow the Maintenance Interval detailed in the Owner's Manual.

Why do we never hear about the owner who was running extended oil change who had an engine failure related to oil????
I sent oil samples out to Blackstone when my tundra turned 100k, and later 200k miles using mobil1 5w30 synthetic oil doing yearly 15k mile oil changes to see if their synthetic oil claims were justified. Both reports showed the oils lubricating properties were well within specs.yet, plus no unusual amounts of metal were shown either. The 2 reports were nearly identical.

at 7280 that synthetic oil looked dark AF compared to the fresh synthetic put in

can you imagine it being TWICE as dark going twice as many tacoMiles
:eek:
You need to remember. This damage is accumulative. At 7280 miles, yes, the oil probably left some sludge. NO, the engine won't fail immediately. Its kinda like brushing your teeth once a month. No, you won't have problems after month 1 or 2, but in time you will need some serious dental work.

He'd sleep better by just following the service intervals and not trying to stretch for arbitrary mileage goals.

Its no wonder why his truck is in such a condition.

Remember the catch phrase from the ol' Fram commercial???? "Pay me now or pay me later."

Fact is, vehicles only have so long a service life. You can keep pumping money into them like a money pit, rebuilding every item thats failing, but in the end you still end up with a worn out old truck. At sometime you have to know when to hold them, and when to fold them. As far as an arbitrary mile goal.....imo, it makes no sense just to wear out a vehicle with no reason, except to aimlessly to wander around the countryside without a goal to be there. I did enough driving in my younger days racing bikes, but at least I had a goal when it came to the end of the day.....a wall full in my den room.

epic gen1 adventures, tacoJoel
Where 2 Wheel Next ? ? ?
state #45 is beckoning o_O
today I actually glanced at the driving distance to Acapulco
That is crazy! But it's not actually all that far lmao

1707618445673.png

Last edited:
Back