Oil change

Ugggh..... The Mobil1 brand name is apparently worth $11 more than the NAPA filter I just purchased.

gadzooks batman

the AAP counter clerk said this mobil 1 filter can be left on for crazy miles and just drain and fill the oil pan once or twice before needing to change the superFilter

already wheeled it in some southern Florida swampy crap back in May hunting alligators and snakes

the AAP counter clerk said this mobil 1 filter can be left on for crazy miles and just drain and fill the oil pan once or twice before needing to change the superFilter
What does your Owner's Manual recommend on the oil and filter change? Suggest following that and ignoring the store clerk.

I ran the mobil1 filters for synthetic oil in my tundra doing 15k mile yearly oil changes. They are good good filters, but so were the k&n ones I use also. What worked well for me, I wouldn't advise it for everyone, especially on a different engine with more miles.

most i have found are just a 5qt container... which most often requires an additional quart at a serious markup per qt. compared to getting the 5qt jug

unless you are A0K with just putting in 5qt to an engine that takes 5.5 to 6

most oil&filter coupin deals are only for 5qt and they gotta upcharge you for the extra to capacity fill

FWIW. I just use a 5 qt bottle per oil change with filter. Run the engine to circulate the fresh oil. Check the dipstick. The level always settles to the halfway point between the full and add marks. So, all is good.

I do have a quart of oil languishing on the shelf. Been there for quite a while. Engine doesn't consume any noticeable oil in 5000 mile OCI. I do check the oil level at each fuel fill.

My point is you don't need to have the oil all the way to the top of the full mark on the dipstick. Just get the level between the add and full mark on the dipstick. 5 qts will do just fine.

When I changed the oil in my gen3, it took a little over 6 qts with the filter to reach the in-between marks on the dipstick. You never want to go to that dipstick top line, or past it.

Back