Post your truck off-road

I dropped off my camper shell Tuesday to have it sent back to the factory. The paint started peeling around the passenger’s side window in less than two months of ownership. The place I bought my Leer shell from said the know about the leaking problems that tacomas have and that they know how to seal it properly so it won’t leak. Whenever I washed the truck it leaked on both from sides of the bed. It also leaked along most of the drivers side. Since they don’t apparently know how to properly seal it so it doesn’t leak, I’ve decided to take care of it myself. I just pulled both rail caps off, cleaned the bed rail, and then laid down a bead of silicon along the top in a large oval to go around the length of the rail in get both sides of the mounting holes in the top of the rail. Next I need to get some butyl tape to take care of that big gap between the side rails and the front rail.
Maybe this shell just needs another layer of weather stripping/rubber molding where it seals to the trucks bed. Not sure how your applying the rtv sealant, but that stuff can get awful messy if it ever has to be removed.

Maybe this shell just needs another layer of weather stripping/rubber molding where it seals to the trucks bed. Not sure how your applying the rtv sealant, but that stuff can get awful messy if it ever has to be removed.
The water will go between the plastic need cap and the top of the bed rail. That needs to be sealed on Tacoma's.

The water will go between the plastic need cap and the top of the bed rail. That needs to be sealed on Tacoma's.
Thats why I was thinking it needs an extra layer of weather stripping, or rubber molding added for a better seal. I would think the weight of the cap would be enough to compress it to seal better. At any rate it's what guys have done here. Even my trucks tonneau cover isn't a 100% when it comes to a heavy wind driven rainstorm. I get a few water droplets down the side of the bed depending on which way the rain is driven sideways.

Whenever I wash the taco I get water in the same three spots. I even got water in those spots after a mild rainstorm with no wind.

Well, without seeing how this cap is mounted/sealing, it's hard to say what the remedy would be. Imo, from the ones I've seen in the past, none are 100% perfect to seal out any water.....you'll always get some moisture inside. There's too much bed flexing, and moving around.

Back