Tacoma World vs Tacoma Forum

I just finished a 2 day run to St Louis and back....about 800+ miles round trip.

Nearly rear-ended a genius at 70 mph in a destruction zone who stomped on the brakes to yield to a Honda civic coming down an on-ramp...... Yes, we were on the interstate in the destruction zone. Damn glad I wasn't fiddlin' with the tunes, road snacks or phone.

Last time I took the Driver's test.....the on-ramp traffic had to yield the right of way to the traffic on the interstate.
Not when your behind a tree hugging nice nice people person.

I musta been the bad boy in the old taco once I crossed from south ChicagoLand into Hoosier land on the 94/80 freeway no tolls there
Everybody heading east so slow with 5 open lanes, mostly in the far right two
Indiana pavement was oh very decent, even eliminating most road noise from tires
Throttled to hit near 90 before the 65 connector to Gary cometh

But dammit some of the i80 pavement west of south Chicago is treacherous on Will county
My damned little truck hopped some craters and landed halfway in the other lane :oops:

Last edited:
I musta been the bad boy in the old taco once I crossed from south ChicagoLand into Hoosier land on the 94/80 freeway no tolls there
Everybody heading east so slow with 5 open lanes, mostly in the far right two
Indiana pavement was oh very decent, evening eliminating most road noise from tires
Throttled to hit near 90 before the 65 connector to Gary cometh

But dammit some of the i80 pavement west of south Chicago is treacherous on Will county
My damned little truck hopped some craters and landed halfway in the other lane :oops:
Strut and leaf spring suspension will do that.

Jay..... the handling of your truck would improve immeasurably with the suspension repairs you keep talking about.............struts, shocks, leafs, bushings, tie rods, UBJ, LBJ....wheels, rubber..

Dude, I don't know how to be more direct..... You're pushing 300 kmiles pretty hard and the truck needs work. Putting the work off to make an indiscriminate target is not thinking clearly. I'm not saying do everything in one shot. But you need to start somewhere to prioritize the work. Suggest wheels and rubber would be a good place, then front suspension, then rear.

Consider......if your truck is unable to stay within its lane, then it is a danger to other drivers and YOU. Or the other possible cause is the driver is unable to control the vehicle and should not be driving.

Over the last 2 days, I've battled rough roads, road destruction, pavement sufacing, potholes at 70+ mph, 45 mph cross-winds, torrential downpours, hail..... but never never did the truck lose its footing or jump out of the lane. All due to the STOCK suspension that is in good working order.

Last edited:
The longer you keep worn out parts in operation the more issues you're going to create elsewhere. You either bite the bullet, and do it right, or send the truck down the road to be someone else's problem. I saw much of the same issues on my tundra when nearing 300k miles...you start fixing a few things just to keep it safe and reliable, but it gets almost overwhelming when you know everything it really needs. I added up all the major problems on my truck when it got like that...was over $5k. The truck was probably worth $7500 on a good day. I sold it to a farmer for $5k thats got repair plates on it now. He wasn't too concerned the engine check light was on and it needed 4 02 sensors, plus new cats, a total exhaust, plus a new timing belt kit, tires, brakes, plus the emergency brake system had a rotted off cable and frozen linkage. I'm sure I missed a few small other items to.

They should fix the darn roads!
I've been over that Jenga bridge in Joliet several times in the past couple years and it's still broken to pieces
It rides and handles smoothly otherwise except probably for off-road adventures

They should fix the darn roads!
I've been over that Jenga bridge in Joliet several times in the past couple years and it's still broken to pieces
It rides and handles smoothly otherwise except probably for off-road adventures
On a smooth road even a hard mounted lumber wagon without suspension will ride smooth........

Not much of a bar to jump over.

I did encounter a very smooth section of road on the Avenue of the Saints between St. Louis and Quincy, Il. It was fresh laid seamless asphalt. Probably only a few days old. A rare encounter. Almost like finding a unicorn in the backyard.

The varrazano bridge in staten island back in the day was called the washboard. Downhill going to joisey and if you had a cup of coffee ya might as well just throw it on the floor. Cuz that’s where it will end up.

Sounds like the rt 131 from jolliette to saint Michel des saints in quebec in the winter. The road gets so bad from the ice heaves you'll get car sick, and blow your lunch if not use to being out on the high seas.

I tell ya New Hampshire does there shlt right. Roads are like nothing I ever driven on pristine!

Many of our state highways aren't horrible either. Its our town and city roads that need a lot to be desired.
Can't say about nh, I haven't been through the state in awhile. I'm more familiar with vermont which is nothing special.

Geez, I been on rt22, and 9 many, many times, never saw any problems. Even been on the ma pike more times than I can recall. It's pretty good till you get into the Albany area.

Back