The BS Thread To Rule Them All!!!

look at BAT and do. the. math.

not sure what else there is??
NADA, KBB, Carvana.......plus others.

What you believe and what is reality are often quite different.

Just did a quicky on KBB for your truck.

'97 Toyota Tacoma with 337,000 miles and Standard Equipment in Fair Condition (needing repairs). KBB has a mid-range value of

$1649 as Trade In

$2908 as Private Party

If your repair costs exceed $3000....you are better off financially with a different vehicle.

So, please......enough of the Gen1 are priceless boast. I'm doubtful if NADA or Carvana would be greatly different for pricing.

Last edited:
NADA has the old Tacos at 20k USD now at the tops
almost to the original MSRP :oops:
see it and believe it or believe it not

'97 Toyota Tacoma with 337,000 miles and Standard Equipment in Fair Condition (needing repairs). KBB has a mid-range value of

$1649 as Trade In

$2908 as Private Party

If your repair costs exceed $3000....you are better off financially with a different vehicle.

So, please......enough of the Gen1 are priceless boast. I'm doubtful if NADA or Carvana would be greatly different for pricing.
You are simply not understanding (or don't want to accept the truth) the fact that Jeeps and Tacos are bringing insane resell value every since the China virus started. Jay is correct on this one. Just my 2¢.

$1649 as Trade In

$2908 as Private Party

less than 1000 away now from MSRP at the high end

His claim. Although, paying above book value is not a wise move.

Those resale values may be inflated, but I'm highly doubtful they're inflated by a factor of 10X

Since when does JDPower establish prices for used vehicles???? KBB, NADA are the benchmarks.
FWIW, I don't think your ride would be classified in the "High Retail" group. It needs numerous, extensive and expensive repairs.

His claim. Although, paying above book value is not a wise move.

Those resale values may be inflated, but I'm highly doubtful they're inflated by a factor of 10X

Since when does JDPower establish prices for used vehicles???? KBB, NADA are the benchmarks.
No. Supply and demand establish/dictate teh pricing Rock.

you are most welcome to go out there into the wild and find an actual old Gen1 for the price you say they should be at and report back with yer findings

No. Supply and demand establish/dictate teh pricing Rock.
To some extent. But the market is not a normal market.

you are most welcome to go out there into the wild and find an actual old Gen1 for the price you say they should be at and report back with yer findings
Why would I want to search for a Gen1??? I have a perfectly good running, mechanically sound Gen2 with no rattles, minimal rust, very minor dings.

All I'm saying is Jay's claim that a '97 Tacoma in poor mechanical condition is worth $30 grand. At best.....maybe $10 grand for a desperate buyer.

by that logic i ought to be able to find a very clean Gen2 for less than 10k?

Gen2 and Gen1 are NOT the same truck in any way shape or form other than a Tacoma badge onit

I never said they were comparable or the same truck. Please avoid twisting my statements.

The point is I have ZERO desire to find a worn out Gen1 when I have a perfectly sound and functional Gen2.

I am refuting your claim that Gen1s are priceless or worth $30,000 as you claim.

You speak of your truck like it is a pristine fully functioning high value vehicle. This is simply not accurate. You're constantly stating the numerous ills with the truck......suspension, clutch, transmission, drivetrain. I think only the odometer works as it should.

i never said my old rig was worth 30k$
but i would be most honoured if somebody said they wish to take it off my hands for that amount considering the amount of time + labour put into it over 1/4 decade to keep it nicety as possible as a DD

the ills i have been having are finding the competent 'mechanics' that don't just do their best to bend-me-over stick-it-up the u-no-wot

Imo, you need to wait till you find a buyer dumb enough to pay those crazy prices for a vehicle of that age and mileage no matter what the truck looks like.
When on the road, mechanics tend to bend you over on shoddy repairs figuring they won't see you back if something craps out down the road, especially on an old high mileage truck. I take it jay, you're starting to feel like that roadkill crew. At least they have the camera crew backing them up after their vehicle craps out.

by that logic i ought to be able to find a very clean Gen2 for less than 10k?

Gen2 and Gen1 are NOT the same truck in any way shape or form other than a Tacoma badge onit
The gen3 is a basically an evolved gen2 except for major power plant differences...they have more in common. Frame rust on both can still be a major problem. Gotta find a southern or southwestern taco when looking used.

i am sure there is somebody in the Chicago 'burbs that dearly misses the Gen1 they lost to rott over a decade ago and would be intrested :confused:

I missed my gen1 tundra for awhile, but you forget about it after getting use to this gen3 tacoma. The fuel economy is so much better. I was putting over $50 in the tundra every 5 days going to, and back to work with the tundra....both truck's are roughly the same size, and weight. I get 7 mpg better on the taco.

2000 Tundra
231k miles
9,995$

1699221394660.png

engine compartment is quite clean for that kinda mileage

1699221504680.png

Back