the pilot bearing...

It will be my dumass luck thatthe excuse will be the new input shaft was aftermarket shaft and not OEM spec
FML

I only recently learned the input shaft does not continuously spin with the flywheel

Last edited:
Well. The only counsel I could offer is to take the truck back to the shop who did the work. Tell them the issue. They should be able to resolve the problem.....assuming the problems related to the work they performed.
Thats a mighty big if.

It is entirely possible from various videos I have watched on this procedure

so whom should i consult regarding the queer noise i am hearing whilst in neutral... heard it again yesterday near 70 degrees outside. it is barely audible but i still can hear it
if this noise is normal or not normal or is it just within the break-in period ? ? ?
and perhaps will eventually cease

should i contact the transmission rebuilder in California for some deets that i would think they have multitudes of expertise with these gen1 taco and gen3 T4R with same transmission and clutches since i have heard these rigs are EVERYWHERE out west

Maybe contact a shrink, and get professional help. It's not normal for one to completely rebuild an old truck with that many miles to begin with.

i am quite concerned about this, tacoJoel
thank U so very much :)

it has average miles and so many more to wheel and keep'on truckin'

i am quite concerned about this, tacoJoel
thank U so very much :)

It has average miles and so many more to wheel and keep'on truckin'
That is not even close to average miles....the term higher mileage begins over 75k. Even toyota claims the average life of their vehicles is between 200k, and 250k miles. Like it, or not your engine is on borrowed time along with whatever else that hasn't been replaced yet.

12.7k per year x 27 years = 343000

is 12k or 15k the industry standard for average miles per annum ?

perhaps it is BELOW average miles ? and should have 405k onit now lol

Yeah, and most keep their vehicles 5-10 years before replacing them with a new one. I use to drive 15k-17k miles per year when I was working. I kept my gen1 tundra 19 years. I should have sold it long before that, but I just didn't like what the new tundra became, and what they had for a tacoma at the time.

1998 was such a bummer wot toyota went and done did to the compact pickUps :confused:
new millenium BS they call it
i am still waiting
the waiting continues...

Be interesting how long gasoline will be available. Gotta believe vehicles will run on other fuel sources like using a hydrogen cell that produce no emissions. Toyota had been active developing a hydrogen powered car. Haven't heard anything for a few years on this.

more research is needed after a long chat yesterday with the rebuilder Nick in sunny CA

i feel a need to know more is all
further education never hurt a soul
:confused:

I didn't go to a real high school, instead took the test to get into a tech school. Imo, they were lot stricter than a high school yet you had to learn the same stuff when not in shop class, or get kicked out if you failed a subject. A grade of 70 was passing not 60, or 50 like the public high schools here. They had 3 types of technical grades depending how well you mastered your courses.

a bit over 2500 miles on the new oem pilot bearing currently

how longer to go before failure of this 10$ part

Stop worrying about another pilot bearing failure. You engine will be tapioca long before the pilot bearing will.

Stop worrying about another pilot bearing failure. You engine will be tapioca long before the pilot bearing will.

so replace pilot bearing along with engine replacement?
whether pilot bearing needs replaced or not??

Back