the pilot bearing...

a master toyota ASE certified diagnostic tech with much experience made the call to put me at easement with the queer rattle from 2o19
the wrong call...

That bearing has been spinning on the shaft. Its either locked up or near lock up or the shaft is undersize.

I'm pretty sure when you rotate the races you will feel notchyness or gritty.......

It was due for replacement many many miles ago.

That is a common angular contact ball bearing of the 6201 size, probably with dual lip seals on both sides. Very common, very inexpensive.

It was probably making the noises heard
BUT! Nobody but I ever heard these noises
The expertly trained diagnostician that inspected said no problem found everything working as it ought
FML

Last edited:
That bearing is in the same family of idler wheel bearings my snowmobile uses for the rear skid. Like said, they eventually get rough, and noisy before they go tapioca. Most of the time, you'll never know until it's too late when they're used in an application as in your truck. Nothing lasts forever.

it was NOT noisy all the time i think
only weird obscure noises at certain RPMs in certain climates
so I am stumped for sure about it
expert professional diagnostician thought it might be some shield on the exhaust or a hangar tappin away
FML

? new OEM pilot bearing ?
1100 miles wheeled onit

its in the 20 degree range today... quite cold out

driving the new clutch around for a bit, warm it all up
get back and leave engine running
put transmission in neutral, let clutch out
hear a noise in the very cold
push clutch pedal in noise goes away
let clutch release out noise comes back

is this the pilot bearing making this noise

should this noise be heard on a new bearing?

the noise is not loud loud but it is definitely there
concerning.

Last edited:
Next thing you're going to ask is ''how should I break in my pilot bearing''? All I can say when I did a clutch replacements on my datsun, and toyota, I never had any odd ball noises from either trucks when done. All was like new again, but then again those trucks had less than 1/2 the miles on the odo as yours. My trucks had a harder life used as a truck, hauling, and towing year round, not just accumulating highway miles with no load to haul.

Well. The only counsel I could offer is to take the truck back to the shop who did the work. Tell them the issue. They should be able to resolve the problem.....assuming the problem was related to the work they performed.

6 hours to change a pilot bearing!?

It has to be extremely quiet surroundings to hear it
But I hear it :(

Back