Undercoating

Any rust inhibitor coating is better than nothing. All comes down to how often you want to be a slave to reapplying it.
I hated going outside to respray FF that washed off when it was zero F degrees out

cosmoline does not handle direct hot sunlight well it would appear

many LARGE cracks in it

Not the stuff I've used. one it cures it becomes semi hard, like soft wax.
i will have to get the pics of that Corolla engine cradle subframe i coated it with last year and left exposed to the elements
to see what it did
the cracks are MASSIVE
i just looked at it yesterday sitting there

i will have to get the pics of that Corolla engine cradle subframe i coated it with last year and left exposed to the elements
to see what it did
the cracks are MASSIVE
i just looked at it yesterday sitting there
My guess, is the frame wasn't very clean. it had contaminants on it when the cosmoline was applied, either that it was the wrong stuff for car chassis's. Older chassis's need to spotless before applying that stuff. The cosmoline you need is RP-342. It's very thin, and seeps into all crevices, before it cures. You apply 2 coats...letting it dry between coats.

the old pic from 10-2o22 indicates RP-342 black used
cradle was cleaned and repainted prior
its been rained on, snowed on, and plenty of UV sunshine

cosmoline on engine cradle.jpg

I never used their black, only amber, but gotta wonder if the rp-342 had a reaction with the paint before. Did you let the paint cure for a couple days before applying the cosmoline? I sprayed the entire inner, and outer engine shield on my truck with the amber rp-342. So far it's holding up great, just as the rest of the trucks chassis.

I never used their black, only amber, but gotta wonder if the rp-342 had a reaction with the paint before. Did you let the paint cure for a couple days before applying the cosmoline? I sprayed the entire inner, and outer engine shield on my truck with the amber rp-342. So far it's holding up great, just as the rest of the trucks chassis.

i dont remember!
probably let the chassis paint dry for many weeks before
i am thinking its the UV sunlight beating down upon it to make it crack up but i still need to get a current pic

I know with fluid flim if a part is left in direct sunlight, it turns into a greasy mess. I just haven't seen it with cosmoline...it's petroleum based.
Last month I coated a steel sheet with this stuff, that going to be left facing west. I'll keep you posted if I see anything weird. So far its just as I did it.

its not real 'greasy' just real tacky to the touch

i sprayed some WD40 onit and it had an effect

My trucks frame thats been coated with cosmoline years ago is dirty, but not rusty. You don't want to disturb the coating.

recently whilst changing that weepy lower radiator hose AND oil filter for the very first time in 26yrs i found the shop monkeys over the last few years had disturbed the woolwax coating on the front frame horn on driver side near that filter... i applied a light WW HV coating on that perfect-as-can-be OEM frame coating

Back