Undercoating

I’ve used fluid film and wool wax I the past, had Toyota Service advisor tell me that if I keep taking care of my frame the way I have, they won’t ever be able to replace it. Basically, he wanted me to let it rot so they could get the work.

on my 4Runner I used

View attachment 33953

Just looked in the wheel wells the other day, wiped off some dust to find an oily metal behind it. It was done in the spring and Inplan to have it done again in the fall, then maybe once a year after.

i will show your service advisor the nasty tarlike rubber stuff the local yota dealer sprayed on my relatives '11 Taco 11+ years ago that is now wearing off in pinch spots with rust all underneath it, what. a. mess. at least it will come off easy once i softened it all up on a 100 degree day LOL

that PB blaster stuff is a new product i recently heard about but have no experience with

Its likely similar to fluid flim and others if their only good for that amount of time before they wash off and need reapplying. Been there, tired of rust inhibitors that don't last. Right now i'm sold on cosmoline. Been over 2 years and still holding up like it was just done. Thats what i call a win.

i fail to see (from my experience with cosmoline so far) how that would be applied/sprayed into the rocker panels area and not gumm it all over and block them drains from properly draining!?
would you not want something more 'fluid' that rinses out over time... same goes for tailgate drain and door drains
or these frame drain channels under lapped metal on the Gen2 taco

I’ve used fluid film and wool wax I the past, had Toyota Service advisor tell me that if I keep taking care of my frame the way I have, they won’t ever be able to replace it. Basically, he wanted me to let it rot so they could get the work.

on my 4Runner I used

View attachment 33953

Just looked in the wheel wells the other day, wiped off some dust to find an oily metal behind it. It was done in the spring and Inplan to have it done again in the fall, then maybe once a year after.
Well, if you enjoy doing your rust prevention job over every year, thats fine to. I don't. it gets old and costly if you plan on keeping a truck a long time, not to mention a pita to take the time out to have it done, but to each their own.

i fail to see (from my experience with cosmoline so far) how that would be applied/sprayed into the rocker panels area and not gumm it all over and block them drains from properly draining!?
would you not want something more 'fluid' that rinses out over time... same goes for tailgate drain and door drains
or these frame drain channels under lapped metal on the Gen2 taco
Rp-342 cosmoline goes on very thin creeping into everything, and dries semi hard leaving a waxy texture. 2 coats is perfect. As far as those door drains...if you spray too much in there it will just drip right out. I did my truck with this stuff, not even the slightest chance of clogging. Not sure what you used, but its not the same stuff i sprayed on.

Rp-342 cosmoline goes on very thin creeping into everything, and dries semi hard leaving a waxy texture. 2 coats is perfect. As far as those door drains...if you spray too much in there it will just drip right out. I did my truck with this stuff, not even the slightest chance of clogging. Not sure what you used, but its not the same stuff i sprayed on.
I bot a gallon of rv 342 in a metal pail but not sprayed it yet just brushon so far
So you would consider it to be sort of a cavity wax?
I had my tailgate cavity waxed at the body shop a few years back when they did a small rust repair on one of the pinch welds but I still spray a very thin liquid Canadian gel that weeps out because I trust nothing at all anymore lol!

Last edited:
Well, if you enjoy doing your rust prevention job over every year, thats fine to. I don't. it gets old and costly if you plan on keeping a truck a long time, not to mention a pita to take the time out to have it done, but to each their own.
A long time lol! Is 25+ years a long time :cool:

Under 100 bucks, worth it to me, as I do plan to keep this one. After seeing my 17 frame when I traded it, and knowing what my other trucks looked like, I’ll keep it up.

i will show your service advisor the nasty tarlike rubber stuff the local yota dealer sprayed on my relatives '11 Taco 11+ years ago that is now wearing off in pinch spots with rust all underneath it, what. a. mess. at least it will come off easy once i softened it all up on a 100 degree day LOL

that PB blaster stuff is a new product i recently heard about but have no experience with
I have watched this

When I was considering fluid film and wool wax, I stumbled on to this guy. And then when I heard about this stuff, I found him again. There are a few other good videos out there as well.

I plan to take the runner to the same guy that sprayed it in the spring. He has been doing fluid film for years, but even though he liked using it, wouldn’t comment till he sees it in the fall.

I bot a gallon of rv 342 in a metal pail but not sprayed it yet just brushon so far
So you would consider it to be sort of a cavity wax?
I had my tailgate cavity waxed at the body shop a few years back when they did a small rust repair on one of the pinch welds but I still spray a very thin liquid Canadian gel that weeps out because I trust nothing at all anymore lol!
I used the aerosol cans for that.

I have watched this

When I was considering fluid film and wool wax, I stumbled on to this guy. And then when I heard about this stuff, I found him again. There are a few other good videos out there as well.

I plan to take the runner to the same guy that sprayed it in the spring. He has been doing fluid film for years, but even though he liked using it, wouldn’t comment till he sees it in the fall.
If its got lanolin, or wool wax in it, i don't expect it to last a whole lot better than fluid flim or wool wax itself.
Imo, if costing $100 or less for a one time deal or even every 5 years wouldn't be bad, but to pay $100 or more every year, or two would drive me crazy with just pita to apply it alone. It was a job i dreaded with fluid flim. There's a reason those euro guys like bmw and mercedes both use cosmoline on their vehicles....it lasts. I don't see too many rusting out.

I used the amber ones before they came out with black. That stuff sticks pretty good once it dries. You have to use something like mineral spirit's to remove it.

I don't believe it says one way or the other. You'd likely have to email them that question. I did email them a question about what materials it would be safe to use this stuff on, like rubber, or plastics. Said it shouldn't be a problem, but they recommended trying to avoid spraying on it if possible.

beside the nasty mineral spirits (which is basic paint thinner??)
what other recourse would there be to remove that cosmoline (if so desired)... would a simple HD scraper knife work out ok for removal?

beside the nasty mineral spirits (which is basic paint thinner??)
what other recourse would there be to remove that cosmoline (if so desired)... would a simple HD scraper knife work out ok for removal?
Good luck with the paint scraper. You'd likely still have some residue thats on there, unless your not concerned getting the surface nice, and clean, plus the paint scraper is going to take way longer, and need periodic cleaning.

Good luck with the paint scraper. You'd likely still have some residue thats on there, unless your not concerned getting the surface nice, and clean, plus the paint scraper is going to take way longer, and need periodic cleaning.
So it's pretty much bullet.proof?

Cosmoline trial on left LCA (glossy area)
Brushing it on over some rustconverter from 2 days ago as a topcoat
IMG_20220827_145320_775.jpg

Last edited:
Back