Undercoating

Looks pretty encapsulated. Where the rest of your suspension parts?
Changing parts with my strong young nephew the football wrestler
The 25yr old sway bar links presented a small challenge but did not break due to crusted rust on the threads
I need to buy us some cool cold beer for this!

Good luck with the paint scraper. You'd likely still have some residue thats on there, unless your not concerned getting the surface nice, and clean, plus the paint scraper is going to take way longer, and need periodic cleaning.
I am now curious if dry-ice blasting would remove it, I need or want to get that blasting done down the road after looking into it a bit recently
At least I can likely get it done now in Chicago or Cincinnati and not have to wheel it to Miami Florida, los Angeles or Alberta Canada!

Changing parts with my strong young nephew the football wrestler
The 25yr old sway bar links presented a small challenge but did not break due to crusted rust on the threads
I need to buy us some cool cold beer for this!
Labatts blue always worked for me.
As far as the dry ice blasting, idk, you'd need to try it. Soda blasting would work.

doesn't soda blasting have fallout? i think i tried that on the Corolla engine compartment once and a heckuva mess it made :mad: especially when it got wet

i did forget to mention that we (but mostly he) removed all the nuts (12 of them in all) by hand tools, no power no air, all macho :cool: brute powered it all off

As far soda blasting having what you call as fallout....imo, just about all do, but i think its a less messy, and safer environmental way to blast a part clean.

Thats the stuff. Goes on best in very hot weather. Its been on my truck for 2 1/2 years with no signs of washing away like fluid flim.

Thats the stuff. Goes on best in very hot weather. Its been on my truck for 2 1/2 years with no signs of washing away like fluid flim.

i spread some on the lower control arms after wiping most of the dirty woolwax off yesterday in 90 degree non-humid temps
as soon as that stuff comes out of the pail into a dish it starts developing a tacky film on the top
a complaint is that brushing it on it does not give a uniform appearance, likely because brushing over that which is already drying and developing a top-film, brush strokes show up
always a complaint LOL

i spread some on the lower control arms after wiping most of the dirty woolwax off yesterday in 90 degree non-humid temps
as soon as that stuff comes out of the pail into a dish it starts developing a tacky film on the top
a complaint is that brushing it on it does not give a uniform appearance, likely because brushing over that which is already drying and developing a top-film, brush strokes show up
always a complaint LOL
Gotta get a wand, or gun, and spray it on. Hope you power washed any wool wax away before applying the cosmoline. If you don't it may cause a reaction. The cosmoline won't dry...just stays greasy, and drips...at least thats what happened when a buddy applied cosmoline over fluid flim.

I just hope that somebody notices these badass deweathered LCAs that aren't smothered in dirt!

Black and crusty does look better.

i mentioned earlier (or thought i did!) that most all crust was abrasively removed from the back of the axle housing 3yrs ago and i put 2 heavy coats of chassis primer,
so the crust is very limited to tight areas i could not get the blaster gun into... going to hunt for a pic from years ago if i took one
the black WW just looks real crusty LUMPY :(

I used fluid flim and it didn't do well here in the northeast on my tundra. Our wet climate causes it to wash away being lanolin based. I've had real good luck so far with cosmoline. I save the fluid flim for my lawn tractors mower deck.

It was pretty much a noon to 6pm job when i did my truck, and it was a very hot afternoon crawling around in those 3M coveralls. I think i sweated over a gallon.

Can you take any pics to show how yours turned out?
This job I did looks good at a distance but up close with a light it's a waxed lumpy looking

No pictures, but i worked with a newly painted chassis/frame...it was a new truck, so imo this was much easier to do. All i can tell you is its not lumpy one bit. Still looks like a fresh painted chassis. I hope to keep any rust at bay long as possible, as it gets real bad here quick.

Back