What have you done to your Tacoma today?

What have you done to your Tacoma today?​

Used my Tacoma as a carpet hauler today. The in-laws gave us a beautiful throw rug so I loaded it up and brought it back to the house then took the old one and hauled it away. Better than what we had before. Dogs loooove shag rugs. :)
I've got custom cut carpets currently be made. Should get a call in a week, or so if done. Going to need my trailer to pick them up.
For now, gotta a doctors appointment to drive to at 11 am this morning.

how is that carpet quality these modern days?

is it just like concrete quality of the modern day

I went with some really nice higher grade berber carpets to replace these beat 10 year old cheaper ones, I'm walking on now. Problem is they have to cut, and bind them....it's a lot of extra work before I can pick them up.

Make sure your carpet is manufactured in Dalton, Ga - The Carpet Capitol of the World. Manufactured by either Engineered Floors, Mohawk or J&J Mills. It will last a long time with proper care, and should not be worn out after 10 years.

Idk where my carpet is being made, or where it's coming from, only that I saw the samples I liked at nearly $5 a sq ft.
I can tell you where our current purple mattress came from....utah.

Idk where my carpet is being made, or where it's coming from, only that I saw the samples I liked at nearly $5 a sq ft.
I can tell you where our current purple mattress came from....Utah.
The carpet should have a manufacturer's label at each roll end, and several places in between, usually every 50 to 100 feet. Remnants will probably not have a label (a remnant is the remainder, usually less than 50 linear feet of a full roll, which can be 300 to 800 linear feet). This label should give you all the information about the carpet. Sadly, many dealers use a heat gun and remove these labels. These labels are very important, as they also have the authenticity marker for carpet warranties. I worked for Mohawk Industries for 12 years in the early 2000s, and learned more about carpet than I cared to know. I will say that the best yarns are cotton, wool and nylon, pretty much in that order. The other fibers are OK, but won't see the light of day in my house. Another fiber that was being developed there, but I left before I could find out if it made out of testing, was corn fibers. Extremely soft and VERY durable.

some folks prefer the hardwood floors
or tile
with rugs as needid
I had my hardwood floors resurfaced, and urethaned 10 years ago. I chose custom cut area rugs to cover most of the floor area. Our original berber rugs didn't last much past 10 years, so I'm having them replaced with higher quality berber carpeting bought from another company. I already have both my bathrooms fully tiled, so is the kitchen, hallways, and mud room floors. Hardwood floors look great when newly finished, but show their wear after a few years. They now have a lot of this composite type flooring similar to engineered wood, or vinyl, but it's a bit of work to install it, plus idk how it will hold up over time.

Last edited:
The carpet should have a manufacturer's label at each roll end, and several places in between, usually every 50 to 100 feet. Remnants will probably not have a label (a remnant is the remainder, usually less than 50 linear feet of a full roll, which can be 300 to 800 linear feet). This label should give you all the information about the carpet. Sadly, many dealers use a heat gun and remove these labels. These labels are very important, as they also have the authenticity marker for carpet warranties. I worked for Mohawk Industries for 12 years in the early 2000s, and learned more about carpet than I cared to know. I will say that the best yarns are cotton, wool and nylon, pretty much in that order. The other fibers are OK, but won't see the light of day in my house. Another fiber that was being developed there, but I left before I could find out if it made out of testing, was corn fibers. Extremely soft and VERY durable.
When I signed the contract for them binding these carpets, they told me this was their highest traffic sample, much better that what I was replacing with. It feels similar to some outdoor carpets in these stores I've walked over....like some sort of nylon/polypropylene blend.

nylon/polypropylene blend.
Nope, just polypropylene... The heat temperature used to set the twist in poly and nylon is different. Unless, in the last decade some advances have been made with poly fibers, they can't get enough twist to stay in the fibers. The twist in the fibers make it stronger and cushy. Of the man-made fibers, nylon is the best. Find out the weight of the carpet (generally under 30 oz/sq ft is poly, while nylons are mostly above 30). If you are paying about $5 sq/ft, you should be getting at least 40 oz nylon (which would be among the best). I am assuming that price was before binding. I am also assuming a residential Berber (generally bigger "knots" or loops, tend toward the heavy side) vs a commercial Berber (usually a tighter loop or "knot", tend toward the lighter side). My Dad's house has 55 oz wool Berber, and still looks great after nearly 3 decades, and three grandkids.

I had my hardwood floors resurfaced, and urethaned 10 years ago. I chose custom cut area rugs to cover most of the floor area. Our original berber rugs didn't last much past 10 years, so I'm having them replaced with higher quality berber carpeting bought from another company. I already have both my bathrooms fully tiled, so is the kitchen, hallways, and mud room. Hardwood floors look great when newly finished, but show their wear after a few years. They now have a lot of this composite type flooring similar to engineered wood, or vinyl, but its a bit of work to install it, plus idk how it will hold up over time.
Mud room?
Whuts that!
Some silence of the lambs shhiitt lol

Mud room?
Whuts that!
Some silence of the lambs shhiitt lol
It's where you enter the house. You can remove your shoes, and leave them there, if dirty from grass clippings, or working in the garden. Saves cleaning up the rest of the rooms when tracking in debris. I've got other crap stored in there too.

I finally connected the stock backup camera to my aftermarket head unit. I would post pictures, but I was too lazy to go back into the house to get my phone. Besides, I helped my son pull the radiator and fans (fan blade broke off and ate the radiator, what a mess) on his Escape and replace same.

Back