What have you done to your Tacoma today?

problem is i have no really stinkin' idea what is wrong most times and try to investigate to best of limited abilities
therefre must throw parts at it and see if issues goes away

'twas was the case with the front squishy feeling brakes recently
it was the nasty hub and bearing wobble i guess when the caliper was grabbing that wheel with over inch of wobble in the hub it would become squishy brake pedal...

hub and wheel bearing replaced oem and that squishy brake pedal feeling went away

i have no cotDamn clue how the brakesPlus shop did not discover this wobbly wheel hub with the full brake inspection and i noted to them the squishy brake pedal as concern
A lot of shops will only bandaid an issue when dealing with a worn out truck. They know its better to let a sleeping dog lie rather than to discuss every issue the truck is having, unless you demand them to do a full inspection.

Well, being 70, and with a body thats somewhat compromised, I'm right there too. My days of repairing anything major now are history.

so why the hale would i ever dream to want a Gen3 with "pesky cheap bearing Toyota uses deep within the driver side cv axle"
SMH

That bearing will rarely fail if the suspension is left stock. It's when you start doing lifts, it puts more stress on this bearing as your changing the drivetrains geometry. There's a bushing available instead of the bearing if you need to go that route. I've had stock 4wd Toyotas since 79, and never had a drivetrain bearing fail.
Btw, your 97 has the same bearing...have you every replaced it?

no, haven't had issues with any of that there yet
probably the next item of concern :confused:

Quit worrying about the gen3, except for the nanny bs, its a solid truck, or I'd buy something else. Toyota fixed the major complaints with the gen3 by 2019. Like anything post covid vehicles, imo haven't reached the same quality level as before.

So I gotta a quick ???

What is the standard industry practice when installing a new engine oil drain plug gasket

I only do if the old one is weeping. I never had a toyota oil drain bolt leak....ever.

are you able to elaborate a bit more so folks know you know whut you're doing
probably the same deal if reusing the old gasket that is not mashed up too bad
ty.

The oil drain bolt comes stock with dark gray fiber washer. Your suppose to use a new blue washer every time the oil is changed. I've seen issue's with oil leaking afterwards from the drain bolt because some guys don't clean the old washer surface off well enough before installing the new blue washer. Imo, its best to leave the old washer on. I've never seen one leak.

Last edited:
Back