Why do you drive a manuel transmission ?

I've been thinking about this question. Mr Cat, although I don't have an answer about the cost, I do have a method to determine my course of action.

Assuming the truck makes 500 kmiles
1. Quote the cost of a repair.
2. Quote the cost of a replacement.
3. Determine the value of the truck.

If 1 and 2 exceed 3, then replace truck. 3<1 & 2
If 2 exceeds 1 and is less than 3, then repair. 1<2<3
If 1 exceeds 2 and is less than 3, then replace. 2<1<3

Although I think the chances of the Assumption becoming true are slim.
The final thought.
I do not expect the AT or any transmission to reach 500 kmiles without maintenance.
What does #3 really have to do with squat?

I sure did Taco Man. Probley between 40 or 50 but just couldn't take pictures fast enough. I did post the ones I captured on the "Tacoma Paparzzi" thread under the "General Tacoma Discussion" category. Check it out :)

What does #3 really have to do with squat?
ROFLMAO...

Ok......lets use an example. Say the truck has reached 500 kmiles and the AT needs a rebuild.
Quote to repair is $5200
Quote to replace is $4800
Truck value is $800.

This is an example when it is financially wise to replace the truck. Sure a replacement truck will cost much more than $5200. But it won't have 500 Kmiles and 3 wheels in the grave likely with a host of pending issues.

So squat and think on that.....................

How is the truck value 800$ is it totalled?
Is it roached pretty bad or wot?

Is it wise to spend likely more than 50$ thousand USD to replace a truck that needs $5k on a big repair for a rig in otherwise good+ condition to keep on truckin' for who knows how long? 5yrs 10yrs?? 100k more miles or more

All I knew when I had a 19 year old tundra with nearly 300k miles that was probably worth $6-7 grand on a good day that needed over $5k grand of parts plus my labor to make it go another 75k-100k miles. Evaluating it, this didn't make a lot of sense as I'd still have a 20 year old truck with a ton of miles that wasn't worth anything. Only good thing with keeping it, the property tax's were a 1/3 of what I'm paying on the tacoma.
I'm getting up in age, and need a reliable vehicle. I don't need to work on it every time something rusts off the chassis.

How is the truck value 800$ is it totalled?
Is it roached pretty bad or wot?

Is it wise to spend likely more than 50$ thousand USD to replace a truck that needs $5k on a big repair for a rig in otherwise good+ condition to keep on truckin' for who knows how long? 5yrs 10yrs?? 100k more miles or more

Any vehicle with 500 kmiles isnt going to be worth very much money. Well, possibly a semi-tractor. You can replace a truck for much less than $50,000. I purchased my truck in 2020 for less than $16,000.

Oh well. I can only present logic to you. I can't do much for your understanding. I am sure you can conjure up another extreme example to support your point.

So, I will agree your interpretation is applicable to all.

You bot a new truck for $16k?

I saw those trucks for that price on the new lots in the mid 90s lol

Any vehicle with 500 kmiles isnt going to be worth very much money. Well, possibly a semi-tractor. You can replace a truck for much less than $50,000. I purchased my truck in 2020 for less than $16,000.

Oh well. I can only present logic to you. I can't do much for your understanding. I am sure you can conjure up another extreme example to support your point.

So, I will agree your interpretation is applicable to all.

My Cornhole logic is likely flawed lol

I have a basic bare bones Corolla from 1996, bot it used from a dealer special
It had high mileage for 1 year. Over 20k miles. Came from Florida. It was a rental car.

With the first sized rott holes in several body panels it's not worth 500 bucks salvage I bet, especially! with the nasty fuel leaks that popped up in 3 spots 2 years ago

The yota slop shop wanted nearly 1700$ to fix those varied leaks... 1700!
Plus it needed new motor mounts which they wanted another 1200 bucks for
It has 137k miles mostly city which is high compared to the old days but these cars get it over 300k it appears from researching

I looked at the new Corolla for replacement.. roughly 25000 + tax title fees etc etc etc

Test drove one even... Too much gadgetry and those blind spots were unreal I recall

I saw a 2012 gen2 4wd auto with a 110k miles for $16k the other day.
If that truck was white with a hood scoop, then you need to add it to your stable. It would be a good ride.

One caveat......verify it has completed the frame recall issue with a new frame. If not, then it is probably beyond the recall period.

Back