Regular or Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Nathan, Feb 17, 2013.

?

Do you run Regular or Synthetic Oil?

1. Regular Oil

15 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Synthetic Oil

36 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. Nathan

Nathan Administrator Staff Member

Quick poll, do you run Regular or Synthetic Oil?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. TRD4x4

TRD4x4 Active Member

Synthetic all the way here.

4. OP
    Nathan

Nathan Administrator Staff Member

5. Howlin

Howlin Member

Mine came with Synthetic from the dealer.

6. Mattnatti

Mattnatti TEQ HED

Synthetic from factory. I had my first of lifetime free oil changes from the dealer done and will be sending a sample to Blackstone to confirm they put synthetic in as required.

7. MGMTacoLover

MGMTacoLover Well-Known Member

Synthetic is made from regular oil and I will just stick with regular oil

8. TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Well-Known Member

I wanted to run synthetic in mine. I was using the Toyotacare oil changes and the dealer told me that my V6 wasn't designed for syn. :icon_confused: I've never heard of an engine being "designed" for syn. But aside from that they wanted me to pay $50+ for the extra cost of the oil. :eek: Hell I could do it myself for less than that. :icon_rolleyes:

I may run it now that I'm done with the "free" oil changes, not sure yet.

9. EricTheRed

EricTheRed Pantless...

How did you manage to swing free lifetime oil changes?

Yeeeeeeah...that's a new one on me too.

10. Mattnatti

Mattnatti TEQ HED

It was something this particular dealer offers with the purchase of a certified Toyota.

Not sure how I feel about it. I love free stuff as much as the next guy but I need to find out if the warranty on the engine would still apply if I change the oil myself. That way I would know for sure that synthetic went in and the monkey changing at the dealership won't " miss the hole so don't worry about the burning oil smell " and spill oil all over my valve cover and engine. :censored:

11. DarkShark

DarkShark Just Another Yota

I use synthetic ever since I've owned my truck and do it myself

12. donvido47

donvido47 Well-Known Member

Synthetic. I try to do my own oil changes. But usually, I have to drop the truck at my mechanics shop. I need to find more time

13. Dewight

Dewight Well-Known Member

Mostly regular because it cheaper lol

14. Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan MOnty Lives on

in some area's i use synthetic and some i use Dino.

15. ProForce

ProForce Thin Blue Line

Synthetic since 1500 miles on the ticker :D

Changed every 5000-10,000 depending on the driving conditions. Toyota recommended oil change interval for full synthetic in all their vehicles is 10k and 5k if your using conventional. Its in my service manual and told to me by my device dept.

16. in2nit

in2nit Well-Known Member

I use regular earl every 5000. I do use synthetic in my mustang, but its supercharged and the motor is built.

17. smokinjoe

smokinjoe BEER ALWAYS GETS ME STUCK

3k on old school 5w30 with additive im a mechanic oil changes are your cheapest insurance why wouldnt you take care of it for a little now or lots later

18. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Synthetic in the engine and dino in the diffs and t case. Toyota works on the tranny.

19. byrd

byrd Moderator Moderator

I use Valvoline 10W-40 in the engine, I know it calls for 5W-30 but I've always use 10W-40 in all my vehicles and never once had any engine problems. It's a little thicker so it gives better protection. Now on the gear oil I'm changing over to Royal Purple Synthetic 75W-90 from what I've been reading it seems to be the best out there. I have to see if I have any Valvoline 80W-90 left, if I do I'll use it up 1st. I have front & rear differential, transfer case and manual transmission to do, so what dino I have left will fill something and synthetic the rest. Next change will be all Royal Purple.

20. taco guy11

taco guy11 Well-Known Member

Toyota gave me free oil changes up to 25k and the Toyota garage I bought at does lifetime so they do my oil changes every 5k. I changes my front diff used Mobil 1 but going to change the front and rear and transfer case soon almost to 30k and gonna run amsoil

21. GlenLivin'et

GlenLivin'et a.k.a Av8er

Mobil-1 Synthetic with Toyota Filters. ;) The changes on this truck can literally be done in about 15minutes (including proper drain time).