Regular or Synthetic Oil

Do you run Regular or Synthetic Oil?

• Regular Oil

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Synthetic Oil

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters
People change their oil more often than necessary. It makes them feel good and they think they are warding off some evil spirits by paying homage to the oil change spirits. My father and I got the same car with the same motor one month apart. He changed his oil every 3k and I did mine at the factory service interval at 5k. His motor spun two rod bearings at 60k miles. These were computer controlled engines with auto transmissions, so it's not like he over-revved it. Mine had 100k and ran fine when I got rid of it.

My '12 Mustang had a 10K interval, twice what I am used to doing, but the synthetic oil that it came with, and I continued to use in it, cost twice as much. The longer interval was nice, but not really much of a savings.

I use whatever grade oil it came with when the dash light comes on. On my two Tacos and the wife's 4 Odysseys, that is 5k miles. Actually, we let the dealer change it. They do it for about $5.00 more than I could do it myself since there is always a coupon. I like one place doing the changes because they own any problems like stripped drain plugs. Honda put a new oil pan on my wife's car and gave her a loaner while they fixed it. They couldn't blame it on anyone else since they were the only ones who ever RandR'd the plug.

Plus, they do any service campaigns while they have it which they don't usually even tell you about. I found a new battery under the hood of my wife's Honda after an oil change. I asked them about it and they told me they had a bulletin for a certain batch of batteries and changed hers out. I had a wiper motor changed out like that once too. I asked what was taking so long and they told me about a campaign they had for the wiper motors.

Back