Regular or Synthetic Oil

Do you run Regular or Synthetic Oil?

• Regular Oil

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Synthetic Oil

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters
I use regular Castrol 5w30. Is oil consumption a problem or is it normal. The last Toyota I owned never used or leaked a drop. Between services I use about 1/2 quart on three thousand mile oil change.

I use regular Castrol 5w30. Is oil consumption a problem or is it normal. The last Toyota I owned never used or leaked a drop. Between services I use about 1/2 quart on three thousand mile oil change.

My '04 never used a drop between oil changes for the eight years I owned it. My '13 same way. That's why I love the Toyota engines - no leaks or burning oil for me.

Synthetic all the way Mobil1,Amsoil,Deep Purple,Penzoil,Castrol!!!5w-30!V6 4.0 liters 2005-2013! and a K&N,Toyota oem,Mobil1,or Amsoil Filters or Bosh!!!Only for air and oil ONLY!!!No fram or junk filters!

I just picked up my first new Tacoma today and im so pumped. Owners manual doesn't specify if it comes off the lot with conventional or synthetic. Just says toyotas genuine 5w 30. If that's conventional can I put synthetic in after the free maintenance warranty ?

I just had my truck in for it's first service and the ticket indicates that oil change is for synthetic.

Good to know. It will be a few months till I go in for the first service but I'll make sure to check it out

I had a '05 tacoma X-Runner. Put mobile1 synthetic in, seemed to work just fine. Just getting into toyota's and I can defiantly tell the difference between Toyota and GM.

I've been putting AMSOIL synthetic in mine since 86K still changing every 5K. I'm almost at 105K now and I've been told by some to step up a weight in oil for increased protection every 100K miles. Any thoughts or experience with this?

So i've been researching oils and synthetics. I own an 06 4runner with the 4.0L like my Taco. I read on a 4runner forum that Toyota, back in 2010 or '11 recommended using 5w-20

Prior to me changing it to 5w-20 i believe my last mechanic used 10w-30
The engine seemed sluggish and the occassional engine knock could be heard. Anyway since changing it to 5w-20 the knocking is gone, engine runs and sounds smoother. Seems to have horsepower gains.

This is a daily driver but with low miles from home to work, not driven hard, mall cruiser with my family, so i wasn't concerned with any mechanical engine issues when changing oils. My reason for changing was to improve fuel economy and see if that knocking goes away. So far, knocking is gone and i have yet to travel longer distances to feel any changes in performance.

Hawaii doesnt get to hot or cold (high 80's low 70's) either so no concern there too. Has anyone used 5w-20? I just changed it so i'll see how it performs within 1-3k miles and if i notice negative changes i'm gonna try synthetic oil.

Last edited:
Back