Tacoma recall

I can't report any probs with my 16OR. I get about 19-21mpg around town and about 23.8-25mpg on the highway. But this is with a manual transmission. The dealers tried to get me to go with an automatic but I just couldn't. Took me three months and going to a different state to get my manual tranny and I am very happy with it.

I can't report any probs with my 16OR. I get about 19-21mpg around town and about 23.8-25mpg on the highway. But this is with a manual transmission. The dealers tried to get me to go with an automatic but I just couldn't. Took me three months and going to a different state to get my manual tranny and I am very happy with it.

I had to wait 3 months for a manual tranny too, and I don't regret it for a second!

2nd gen had the following issues:

05-06 Faulty engine mounts
05-07 Differential issues (gear breakage)
05-08 maybe 09 Clockspring issues
05-11 Defective DTRL lenses
And don't forget the rust issues of the 1st gen and some 2nd gens.

The tranny issues from the Turd gens is partly the fault of the owners since they want Prius like mileage from a brick on wheels.
My dtrl light is melting the plastic from the inside, and got a few small chunks of metal when I changed the gear oil.

There were shavings, and a couple of small sized pieces about 1/5 the size of a skittle

Flakes? Probably extra material that was left over from the manufacturing process. Still nothing to be alarmed about unless you find something like actual chunks of metal.

Fine:

12rear.jpg

Not good:

164699d1457309779-chunk-differential-track-day-monday-80-2016_02_20_16_56_46_2dcf18bc0d02335f110e7ddf563e4be0abf2a6a0.jpg

Has anyone got notice on this? They said beginning of June they would start letting people know.

I was at the dealer today talking about lots of issues. Asked about the 1/4 million rear diffs recalled and was told Toyota hasn't said anything about sending out notices to customers. The service departments are told at this time as trucks come in for service to check the rear diff for leaks. If it's leaking recall it, if not do nothing.
It's up to us to check if it's leaking. You probably are not going to get a notice saying come in for a fix.

They are saying they don't have the parts to fix it because the parts are back ordered for weeks possibly months due to the 250,000 recalled.

Then this shall be interesting. Lemon laws will kick in and ....

Last edited:
Mine as been at Toyota for 3 1/2 weeks now. 6/30 is the "POSSIBLE" arrival date for parts. So your saying I can make them pay the payment!!!!
Yes call corporate talk to a case worker and ask for your payment to be made. You haven't had your truck they have. They will pay for it if you make them.

If I am not mistaken if they make payment then no longer be eligible for the full lemon law (Florida anyway). I would research it before asking. Fees are usually also refundable upon success. Them keeping vehicle the 1st time is an attempt to keep you from lemon law which requires 3 attempts. Documentation is key.

In order for your car to be considered a lemon, the following must have occurred within 24 months following the date of delivery (the Florida Lemon Law Rights Period):

• The vehicle defect or condition must "substantially impair the use, value, or safety" of the vehicle.
  • The vehicle must have undergone at least 3 attempts to repair the same issue.
  • The vehicle must have out of service for repair of the defect for 15 days or more.
My father had a Ford that he successfully got his money returned.`

In the other thread for this same issue I've been saying the same thing. If you want to lemon law it do that. If you want to keep it make them pay for it.
The List you gave of the 3 options isn't a check list. It's an any list. If your vehicle has any of these it qualifies for the lemon law. They can't just keep your truck hostage. Get a lawyer if your serious. Each states lemon law is unique for that state. Many states have adopted the same laws. If you aren't going that route keep it and make them pay for it. It's not your fault as a customer they can't get it together.

Wow. The way it reads on the DMV website "the following must have occurred" to me reads all 3 have occurred. Guess it should have said "one of the following" or "any of the following" ???

Back