2016 Tacoma 4 door model wind noise

I have a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab 4-cyl with the wind squeel problem. The unusual sound (kazoo-like) started on day one of ownership; the evening I drove it home from the dealer. The design of the driver's side door seal is defective. If I use my fingers to pull the door frame in at the upper-right corner, the sound stops. Another way to mitigate the problem is to turn the ac/heat blower to high. Doing this causes the interior pressure to overcome the exterior pressure. I've been dealing with this problem for several months. It's disheartening to drive a $30k vehicle with a leaky, whistling door seal. My local dealer told me the regional Toyota service rep was aware of numerous reports of the problem. This was confirmed by a second dealer. Apparently Toyota is working on a fix.

Last edited:
Jeremy recently there has been a tsb added to fix this problem until a recall comes out. Reno DOLAN Toyota took great care with me, noise issues solved. Have your dealer contact them

I contacted Dolan Toyota, and the service representative wasn't very interested in assisting. Anyone have a tsb number?

Last edited:
Unfortunately there is a website with this info only available to certain people in the industry. Sorry you got no help from DOLAN, my Rep was carlos barrerra and he told me no problem to refer. My name is Kathy justice, Iv learned thru all this you have to polite but aggressive.

I corrected the problem by applying peel & stick weatherstrip between the door and the inner side of the factory door seal. As mentioned earlier on this site, it creates a tighter seal between the factory door seal and the truck body. It's obviously not a permanent fix, but it should keep me sane until Toyota offers a redesigned door seal. I used this weatherstrip by Metro Moulded: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Moulded...=UTF8&qid=1458527155&sr=8-1&keywords= MW51634

Hallelujah so it's not just me! I tell my wife...."doesn't it sound like a window is down in the back?" And it's mostly coming from rear door or window or?? on drivers side!
2016 SR5 access cab!ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1458628824.170827.jpg

I'm also having the wind noise on my 2016. My service guy said that he'd never heard of this problem?!??

Print out these forum posts, learn the lemon law for your state, ask for a printout of every time you go to service for this noise, take a video. Nicely but firmly ask for a supervisor. There is a tsb recently posted on a site only certain toyota techs can access. I fought this for over a year, finally armed with the above found a service mgr at reno toyota who took this as a challenge and helped me. If your service tech would like to speak to mine I was given permission to pass his info on. Hope this helps

I have a 2016 TRD sport and I have been noticing a wind noise that usually starts around 40mph and if I get on the hwy at faster speeds occasionally it gets really loud. Has anyone identified the source yet?

FYI, there is definitely a TSB for this problem. Just took my 2016 Tacoma in for the high speed crosswind whistle. They were fully aware of the problem and they put an additional piece of weather stripping on for a temp fix. Permanent fix is on the way in a month or so. My Toyota is Beaman in Nashville, TN.

Thanks do you think they will be doing recalls on this to fix the problem ? Or will I have to bring it in and bring it to there attention ?

I have the up and down straw/chewbacca sound happening on mine. It's definitely coming from the sunroof. With the roof closed and a strong right to left wind it sounds terrible. When I vent the roof (move the window up, not back) it stops the noise. I assume because it's now compressing the front seal a bit.

16' TRD Off Road DCLB Inferno

Guys, if you have the Kazoo sound from strong crosswinds, IT IS THE DOOR SEAL. There is a TSB on it. Read my post above.

I have the up and down straw/chewbacca sound happening on mine. It's definitely coming from the sunroof. With the roof closed and a strong right to left wind it sounds terrible. When I vent the roof (move the window up, not back) it stops the noise. I assume because it's now compressing the front seal a bit.

16' TRD Off Road DCLB Inferno
That is just relieving the pressure. It is the door seal. There is a TSB on it.

I just dropped my Tacoma off at the dealer to have this problem checked out. They service rep said there is no tsb for this — he showed me his computer screen to confirm.

I just got off the phone with the dealership and they said something is coming out because he asked me about the wind noise and they said it it coming from the holes in the swing arms and they are plugging them some how

Back