a new chapter begins... the road to 400k

what preventative maintenance should be done so those baddies do not ever happen to it

i've been entertaining a BG MOA oil service

Here is how the process goes:

1. The BG 109 Engine Flush is poured into the oil filler hole. The engine is then started and idled for about 15 minutes to circulate the additive and break-down deposits.

2. The engine is then shut down. The engine oil is drained and the oil filter is removed.

3. The BG Performance Oil Change Air Purge Machine is hooked up to the engine by way of an adapter that attaches to the oil filter base. A charge of compressed air is sent through the adapter that pushes any of the remaining old motor oil out of the drain hole.

4. The drain plug is replaced. A mixture of engine oil and BG MOA Motor Oil Additive is injected by the machine into engine oil passages. The idea behind this step is to “prime” the engine with motor oil to prevent a dry start after the service.

5. The BG Performance Oil Change Air Purge Machine is unhooked from the engine.

6. A new oil filter is installed and the remainder of the new motor oil is poured into engine.

7. BG CF5 Gasoline Additive is added to the fuel tank.

Interesting. I've been digging through the '06 Gen2 Service Manual and the Maintenance Schedule in the Owner's Manual.....no mention of the engine needing this type of service.

Although, regular oil changes at the mileage interval with an oil filter and proper oil is recommended.

Seems to me that BG 109 Engine Flush is designed to flush cash from your wallet.

Oh you'll know, believe me you'll know. Like anything, engines wear out, and many don't give a warning when their ready to go.

i reckon that it is exceptionally clean under them valve covers

Last edited:
When your at 300k miles, and desperate to keep your truck on life support, some will resort to desperate measures.

300k it is barely broken in, some would say on many occasions

its very smooth running still i would say
i have done my absolut best to avoid those VERY SHORT TRIPS which is very hard on engines to get upto operating+ temps

so it may say 339k on the 0D0 but on the average it probably has half that many miles for average user wear & tear

Last edited:
starter original
alternator original
fuel pump original
oil pump original
o2 sensors original
cat original
rear brakes and associated axle parts original
radiator original
ps pump original
washer fluid pump original
heater core original
AC parts original
passenger front wheel bearing + hub original

ALL ORIGINAL on many parts lmao

steering rack will be OEM new replaced in a few short weeks after over 30k miles of weeping :eek:

the starter has to be disturbed in order to remove bell housing clutch transmission
do you think i should ask about getting it rebuilt during the procedure or leave it keep on going

They all are living on borrowed time. As far as the starter, it'd be a no brainer to have it done at the same time doing a clutch job...it'll be way harder job later on, unless your one of those guys that has a horseshoe in your back pocket that feels your starter will never fail.

Last edited:
tacoJohn in Denver with 750k plus miles on his '97 superCharged 5VZ single cab had his original starter kaput the last year or before
so its entirely possible
looks like a good fit straight down removing a piece of exhaust but IDK
sine i R0CK the MT all i need is a hill to get it all cranking...

300k it is barely broken in, some would say on many occasions

its very smooth running still i would say
i have done my absolut best to avoid those VERY SHORT TRIPS which is very hard on engines to get upto operating+ temps

so it may say 339k on the 0D0 but on the average it probably has half that many miles for average user wear & tear

So, your miles are shorter than 5280 feet. Interesting rational.

Look at it this way
A short tripper of a few miles or whatever the benchmark is then shut down is very heavy wear and tear compared to a user that goes many many more miles mostly freeway and little to no stop and go traffic is very easy on that engine

So 100k city short trips stop go miles is equivalent to 300k high percentage freeway miles?

I would tend to agree to a point. The fluids take a beating on short trips without sufficient heat to drive off any water.

The engine.........drivetrain......mechanical bits. A mile is 5280 feet. Don't matter if driving, biking, walking in city, country or freeway.

or if you are of metric persuasion.....1.6 km

keep livin' your dream

Back