a new chapter begins... the road to 400k

I'm kind of at a loss, who else are you expecting to do it? Every shop here thats in business I know of won't install customer parts unless they make parts profit, or will outright refuse to install any parts supplied by the customer.

New yota bolt to replace one sucker that got lost under for that lower fuel tank shield

IMG_20231117_151547_550.jpg

i found this clutch kit to be missing the pilot bearing, that was supposed to be included in the box :confused:

The extra things that can easily manifest are heat checked, burned flywheel. This would need to be faced at minimum (damage dependent) or replaced.

Broken or cracked mounts on the bell housing to the engine.

Alignment is critical on these parts. Flywheel/Clutch/Diaphragm Spring/Pilot Bearing/Trans. Plus all the friction surfaces must be pristine clean.

Plus the trans will be HEAVY. You complain of problems with your shoulders and neck. Muscling a trans may be well pass your capability.

its a quoted six hour task to R/R the clutch on this truck

stoked about seeing what condition the flywheel is in if burnt or not

Remember, the 6-hour quote is when the repair DOES NOT have surprises.

My point. Don't be surprised if the work expands beyond 6 hour and needs additional parts.

You have ridden a long time on a clutch at the end of its life. IIRC, you did this in order to reach a mileage target.

I recall the ancient Fram commercial catch phrase, "Pay me now or pay me later." Generally, paying later requires more $$.

Good Luck

oh dear me :eek:

i encountered another Gen1 taco, a '96, that also had over 300k miles on the factory clutch on the uTubes

You can take it to the bank, that flywheel is toast needing to be refaced, or replaced.
Just think when all this is done, Jay, you will have rebuilt another important section of your truck, making it one of the most expensive 97 taco's in America

Last edited:
You can take to the bank, that flywheel is toast needing to be refaced, or replaced.
Just think when all this is done, Jay, you will have rebuilt another important section of your truck, making it one of the most expensive 97 taco's in America
ahh....c'mon now. He claims it holds a retail value above 5 figures (not including the decimal point).

ahh....c'mon now. He claims it holds a retail value above 5 figures (not including the decimal point).
What's next...he'll be replacing that lapped out engine. It'll probably be a 6 figure truck in no time thats worth 4 figures on a good day.

What's next...he'll be replacing that lapped out engine. It'll probably be a 6 figure truck in no time thats worth 4 figures on a good day.
Nah..... He won't replace the engine until the 1/2M mark. I suspect it will die before then.

Nah..... He won't replace the engine until the 1/2M mark. I suspect it will die before then.
Those squirrels gotta be getting pretty tired by now living on borrowed time. Engines that run on gasoline just don't make high miles like a diesel.

Back