a new chapter begins... the road to 400k

Where can I get six quarts 5w30 for 23$
Where, tacojoel,where!?
Thats the part I don't get...your spending all sorts of coin fixing issues in your truck, and chasing miles to nowhere, but when it comes to motor oil your looking to cheap out, and drive x amounts of miles to save a few bucks on it. You must have a wally world, or a big box retailer like menards, or tractor supply nearby that sells motor oil. Heck even lowes or home cheapo sell motor oil here.

I just don't get it either :confused:
Perhaps I should've had them ship it to me up the river
Chevron oil is not good oil?

I've ordered mobil1 synthetic from wally world when they have a deal....motor oil doesn't go bad like bread, or milk. I have a business account with them getting free shipping on just about everything.

Last edited:
Should I send an oil sample to Indiana for analysis when I change it this weekend
It's been a spell but not too long ago, almost a year

Good greif.....you make things much more complex and difficult than it should be.

ANY 5w30 oil meeting or exceeding the API spec (in Owner's Manual) is plenty sufficient.

I can even make things easier. The oil on the shelf is the most current API specification. Your truck's OM probably calls for an API spec that has been superseded multiple times.

In other words, buy anything you can get that meets the 5w30 viscosity. Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Autozone, Oreilys, Advance Auto, NAPA......... I generally stick with Valvoline, Pennzoil or Quaker State full syn. Mobil 1 wants too much coin for minor benefit but good brag rights to say, "I use only Mobil 1........."

May have some vcg weeping going on here again

Going to need new bolts this time coz those weathered ones there are the factory original vcg bolts

IMG_20231121_154315_290.jpgIMG_20231121_154326_511.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday afternoon appt set at DT to get those new tires changed
Current ones made it past 130k miles at 210k
WOW

I wonder if it will ride smoother now on beefier treads :confused:

Good greif.....you make things much more complex and difficult than it should be.

ANY 5w30 oil meeting or exceeding the API spec (in Owner's Manual) is plenty sufficient.

I can even make things easier. The oil on the shelf is the most current API specification. Your truck's OM probably calls for an API spec that has been superseded multiple times.

In other words, buy anything you can get that meets the 5w30 viscosity. Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Autozone, Oreilys, Advance Auto, NAPA......... I generally stick with Valvoline, Pennzoil or Quaker State full syn. Mobil 1 wants too much coin for minor benefit but good brag rights to say, "I use only Mobil 1........."
I swear by mobil 1 5w30. I used it in my tundra for 19 years, and nearly 300k miles sending oil samples to Blackstone at 100k, and 200k, while performing 15k mile yearly oil changes. Both samples came back nearly identical showing far less than normal engine wear for those miles.

Chevron is just another brand oil that meets your vehicle specs. just as many others will.
Chevron packs six quarts into one convenient package at a very neat purchase point
All else I can find is only five and costs so much more per oz.

its a quoted six hour task to R/R the clutch on this truck

stoked about seeing what condition the flywheel is in if burnt or not

and this place was quoted as nine hours ... 3 less hours than the other place! that is some very good coin of nearly 400$

clutch estimate at ToyoTechs.jpg

should i call them up on the tele for more deets and get them to drill down on exactly what all is involved in that 9hr task

Find out at least if they have ASE techs to do this. I'm even more surprised they are installing parts from the customer. No shops here worth their name would do that unless someone doing a favor for.

Back