brake drum gasket?

You could go very very old school......like back in the 1920s

Oatmeal. It will swell and work its way to the leaks, thus forming a seal.

Prolly only need a handful.
Last guy I knew that did that to stop a heat gasket coolant leak, fried his engine as a result

Black Pepper works better than oatmeal. But honestly that type of thing is ony to get you home so you an fix it right. Right includes completely flushing the entire system with a cleaner to remove the crud you have put in before refilling it.

Idk if auto parts stores still sell these stop coolant leak tablets, but back in the day my boss had a cracked cylinder head on his 305 chevy. He would pop a pack of them in the radiator every week to slow the leak. Friggin truck ran like a steam cleaner every time he took it out.

But brake shop did a thorough inspection all around
This is the killer...

But brake shop did a thorough inspection all around
This is the killer...

Have you ever replaced pads, rotors, shoes or drums?????

Have you ever changed your brake fluid???

Frankly, I'd start with the simple stuff. I certainly wouldn't keep driving with wonky brakes.

Calipers are famous on these trucks for getting crusty with the pistons seizing up. Have the brakes been fully bled?....could be air is in the system, Master cylinder, or vacuum booster could even be tapioca

Calipers are famous on these trucks for getting crusty with the pistons seizing up. Have the brakes been fully bled?....could be air is in the system, Master cylinder, or vacuum booster could even be tapioca
12-Sept-2o23

i've got it scheduled for dealer service on Thursday
they have a current front brake special coupin for 199$ that includes resurfacing of rotors if necessary (rotors OEM replaced 77k ago with the front pads at a slop chop shop)
maybe they also will bleed the brakes, that would be nice, only 50k miles on the brake fluid
the calipers could be an issue because of salt life

but the brakesPlus shop checked ALL OF THIS they assured me it was ALL GOOD
just the drums needed resurfaced from a high spot found on them

Last edited:
i've got it scheduled for dealer service on Thursday
they have a current front brake special coupin for 199$ that includes resurfacing of rotors if necessary (rotors OEM replaced 77k ago with the front pads at a slop chop shop)
maybe they also will bleed the brakes, that would be nice, only 50k miles on the brake fluid
the calipers could be an issue because of salt life

but the brakesPlus shop checked ALL OF THIS they assured me it was ALL GOOD
just the drums needed resurfaced from a high spot found on them
It's just about as cost effective to replace rotors with new ones as it is to resurface them. If driving a lot of highway miles I found EBC slotted rotors, and pads to last far longer than the stock solid ones.

Surprised a toyota dealer would even resurface rotors these days. I recently replaced 2 of the rear rotors on our prius...they were cheap enough. I don't even think it'd be worth the time to have the old ones cut.

i would think they resurface on the vehicle afaik but can certainly ask how its done

Nope. Can not resurface on the vehicle. The rotors must come off to be placed in a lathe or grinder.

I just replaced both rotors on my truck. Hardest task was getting the old rotors to say good bye to the spindle.

The new rotors were less expensive than surfacing the old.

Did you check on what is included in the $1.99 special???

Nope. Can not resurface on the vehicle. The rotors must come off to be placed in a lathe or grinder.

I just replaced both rotors on my truck. Hardest task was getting the old rotors to say good bye to the spindle.

The new rotors were less expensive than surfacing the old.

Did you check on what is included in the $1.99 special???
Sometimes these specials only apply to certain vehicles. Usually when you go for them, they hit you with all sorts of stuff your vehicle needs to make them some quick easy money. They will have a field day with jay.

they probably measure any grooving in the rotors to see if it still in spec
and i did happen upon they have machines out there that can resurface rotors on the vehicle

Idk, about doing them on the vehicle, most I know they have done them on a brake lathe type machine. Most shops do not even resurface rotors anymore unless it's a speciality/antique type vehicle that you can no longer buy new rotors. New solid rotors today are cheap, and cost less than a resurface job.

well hopefully my rotors are not warped after being on there for such a short period!
they have seen a tremendous amount of mountainous wheelin', if that has any effect on 'em IDK

Back