brake drum gasket?

a local-to-me dealer will NOT even give me a rough estimate for replacing this leaking steering rack
after insisting that i just need a ballpark quote on what yer books tell you how long it ought to take they insist back at I that i MUST pay to them $160 diagnostic to tell me the rack is leaking and needs replaced and get a quote when i KNOW it is leaking albeit a bit more slowly with that Prestone stopLeak stuff...

i want them to tell me if its 2hours? or 5hours? to replace and not be having to pork out yet another $160 of good coin

earlier this year before the leak developed i called one yota shop for estimate on replacing just the rack bushings and they told me its $400
SMH
We have laws in our state, that an estimate of any repair work to be done must be given to the owner before any work can be done. I'll agree with these shops, this is a pita for them as they have to put the job aside till the customer can make their mind up.
As far as any steering rack replacement job, expect to spend over $2k at a toyota dealer as they use all toyota components.

A lot h as to do with your relationship to the shop. For things I can do any longer or just don't want to do (hey, I'm retired I'm not supposed to kill myself working) the always provide a free estimate. They have a book with the time required for any given job. That's what they quote. I've never had them exceed the quote unless they found something else along the way and then they call before proceeding.

A shop that "can't" quote a price for a standard job (everyone has the same darned book) is full of BS. Another thing, here at least, they are required to return the old parts. Mostly I just refuse, and if it's something that can be rebuilt (they have a core charge) having it sent in reduces the price accordingly.

We have laws in our state, that an estimate of any repair work to be done must be given to the owner before any work can be done. I'll agree with these shops, this is a pita for them as they have to put the job aside till the customer can make their mind up.
As far as any steering rack replacement job, expect to spend over $2k at a toyota dealer as they use all toyota components.

new yota rack for Gen1 is about 800$ MSRP

Many dealers here would tack on another 30%, then add their labor to install it. I know others with a gen2 that had dealer steering rack replacements...cost varies from $1800 to $2200. These guys get $120 an hr. labor. I just took my time years ago on my tundra, and did the job myself. All the parts were about $1k. It cost me about another $100 for a wheel alignment.

Many dealers here would tack on another 30%, then add their labor to install it. I know others with a gen2 that had dealer steering rack replacements...cost varies from $1800 to $2200. These guys get $120 an hr. labor. I just took my time years ago on my tundra, and did the job myself. All the parts were about $1k. It cost me about another $100 for a wheel alignment.

the rack needs removed a bit to replace that left LCA on my rig

a local-to-me dealer will NOT even give me a rough estimate for replacing this leaking steering rack
after insisting that i just need a ballpark quote on what yer books tell you how long it ought to take they insist back at I that i MUST pay to them $160 diagnostic to tell me the rack is leaking and needs replaced and get a quote when i KNOW it is leaking albeit a bit more slowly with that Prestone stopLeak stuff...

i want them to tell me if its 2hours? or 5hours? to replace and not be having to pork out yet another $160 of good coin

earlier this year before the leak developed i called one yota shop for estimate on replacing just the rack bushings and they told me its $400
SMH
OMG.....did you really use that Stop Leak crap in your PS system???

You may need to invest in a steering rack, pump, valves.......all sorts of extra things due the that "miracle mechanic in a can"

FWIW, the way you handle your needs with that shop there could be other reasons why they are hesitant to offer you a quote.

Good luck.

Yes been using the prestone Asian PS fluid with stop leak additive all summer long
Toyota PS fluid is very thin stuff and leaks out very quickly when hot
I just added a small amount to get it back to the hotline the other day and don't recall when last had to add so it could be more than 7k miles or so but I can't recall offhand

IMG_5512.JPG

Last edited:
Yes been using the prestone Asian PS fluid with stop leak additive all summer long
Toyota PS fluid is very thin stuff and leaks out very quickly when hot
I just added a small amount to get it back to the hotline the other day and don't recall when last had to add so it could be more than 7k miles or so but I can't recall offhand

View attachment 40166
I thought you informed us this prestone magic elixir cured your power steering rack leak after I told you it'd only get worse?

Last edited:
I thought you uninformed us this prestone magic elixir cured your power steering rack leak after I told you it'd only get worse?

it definitely did NOT get worse
it slowed the leak tremendously that i am able to keep on trucking until fixit plans get set into motion

You could go very very old school......like back in the 1920s

Oatmeal. It will swell and work its way to the leaks, thus forming a seal.

Prolly only need a handful.

The old gasket was found adhered to the inside of the drum whilst they were getting turned on the lathe

I suppose it did it's job and prevented it from rusting to hub because they came off with relative ease after just a bit over a year on

Back