E.D.T.... every darned time

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 350k on the 0D0
10-10-2o23

I am positive you like your truck much
so you take yer rig in for the trusted 'professional' maintenance, repair, whatever it is
you get it back after shelling out some very good coin
the next day or after you start tooling around with something else on the truck AND you find that this trusted paid service was not kosher, not completed, halfassed, not to spec, whatever it is... even the smallest of little things that are off that triggers just because its wrong

this has happened to I at least 4x in the past month :mad: AND countless times over the past several years
i am so disgusted
and the latest slopshop puckUp is a HUGE safety hazard that could kill me if it comes loosey goosey

it never fails...
what kind of crap have you experienced out there
please share :) so I know I am not a stray irregularity out there

Last edited:
The only crap I have to listen to every 10,000 miles is when I take BigBlue in for his oil change and the 19-year old kid is going to read his script and try to tell me that the technician found 27 shortcomings he discovered during the inspection and I NEED to get these repairs done today so instead of the $54 oil change bill it now reads $2,700.

I try to keep my emotions in check and politely say "Junior, all I need right now is my oil changed; nothing more." I actually walked out of the Lone Star Toyota dealership iin Lewisville when "junior" was demanding that I pay for the extra repairs right then and there. Never going back to that dealership and I let the Service Manager know.

An absence of cotter pins to properly secure the castle nuts of the LBJs on BOTH sides
For one of the UBJs a paperclip was used to secure the castle nut
The good Lord Almighty only knows what was used if anything to secure the axle nuts :confused:

The only crap I have to listen to every 10,000 miles is when I take BigBlue in for his oil change and the 19-year old kid is going to read his script and try to tell me that the technician found 27 shortcomings he discovered during the inspection and I NEED to get these repairs done today so instead of the $54 oil change bill it now reads $2,700.

I try to keep my emotions in check and politely say "Junior, all I need right now is my oil changed; nothing more." I actually walked out of the Lone Star Toyota dealership iin Lewisville when "junior" was demanding that I pay for the extra repairs right then and there. Never going back to that dealership and I let the Service Manager know.

That is why they are called Stealerships.

I am positive you like your truck much
so you take yer rig in for the trusted 'professional' maintenance, repair, whatever it is
you get it back after shelling out some very good coin
the next day or after you start tooling around with something else on the truck AND you find that this trusted paid service was not kosher, not completed, halfassed, not to spec, whatever it is... even the smallest of little things that are off that triggers just because its wrong

this has happened to I at least 4x in the past month :mad: AND countless times over the past several years
i am so disgusted
and the latest slopshop puckUp is a HUGE safety hazard that could kill me if it comes loosey goosey

it never fails...
what kind of crap have you experienced out there
please share :) so I know I am not a stray irregularity out there
Problem starts when you're far from home chasing miles. Shops know it, when you authorize any work to be done. They realize you're not likely to return if an issue, so they just hack it out, collect their money and send you on your way. I've been through it back in the day when traveling racing bikes.
You need to establish a relationship with one shop that has ase techs where you stay. Once they know this, you're likely to have much better work done cause you'll bounce right back if they don't. Personally I try to do all my own maintenance, and feed them the really bull work, but thats your call.

Last edited:
Problem starts when you're far from home chasing miles. Shops know it, when you authorize any work to be done. They realize you're not likely to return if an issue, so they just hack it out, collect their money and send you on your way.
You need to establish a relationship with one shop that has ase techs where you stay. Once they know this, you're likely to have much better work done. Personally I try to do all my own maintenance, and feed them the really bull work, but thats your call.

place that replaced these blown CV axles is a nationwide chain, warranty is everywhere i am under the assumption of, just like a Toyota dealershop is?

paperclip cotter
UBJ paperClip.JPG

found this buggard
:eek::eek::mad:
this could eventually kill me if left unchecked and never spotted... there are those out there that can't or don't go under their vehicles after getting it back from a trusted shop and doublecheck stuffs... and some that have absolut no clue about any of this
IMG_0121.JPG

Problem starts when you're far from home chasing miles. Shops know it, when you authorize any work to be done. They realize you're not likely to return if an issue, so they just hack it out, collect their money and send you on your way. I've been through it back in the day when traveling racing bikes.
You need to establish a relationship with one shop that has ase techs where you stay. Once they know this, you're likely to have much better work done cause you'll bounce right back if they don't. Personally I try to do all my own maintenance, and feed them the really bull work, but thats your call.

believe me tacoJoel, i have honestly and painstakingly tried to find the magic taco shop in this area that KNOWS these old Tacomas through and through

but E.D.T., there is something or something other that is not kosher and leaves me shaking my head in disbelief at the bs crap

That is so freaking spot on Joel. True story; Back in the 80's, I was traveling through Omaha and stopped off at a service station needing an oil filter as I was going to do an oil change all by myself. I tell the shop owner thug I need just one oil filter for the $2.95 he was advertising. He goes to the back and litterally changes the price tag to $12.95 and he says my chevy big block 454 is a special motor. I tell him I was watching him the whole time with his shop mirrors change the price tag. I just walked away. Sad.

believe me tacoJoel, i have honestly and painstakingly tried to find the magic taco shop in this area that KNOWS these old Tacomas through and through

but E.D.T., there is something or something other that is not kosher and leaves me shaking my head in disbelief at the bs crap
We have good, and bad shops in the area here too, eventually you hear word of mouth from other folks the ones to avoid. It pays to live in one place for a long time. I can't find any fault with the quality of work at either toyota dealer in my area, other that their rates are up there with those German cars.

We have good, and bad shops in the area here too, eventually you hear word of mouth from other folks the ones to avoid. It pays to live in one place for a long time. I can't find any fault with the quality of work at either toyota dealer in my area, other that their rates are up there with those German cars.
the shop that most recently did this... their hourly rate is EXACTLY the same as the local dealer not far away.
there was a big difference in price of parts.... 250$ vs 600$ msrp for each
parts were readily available at a local Napa and the pricey OEM parts were a week wait or so out

I usually try to stay with toyota parts when it comes to the drive train. Some online dealers offer decent discounts on their parts as you already know. I'll go to rock auto for a lot of the other stuff like wipers, bulbs, air cleaners, etc.

11-Oct-2o23

i am hoping the yota boot kits i ordered come off of backOrder and I can figure if the original yota axles are still good even after losing most ALL the grease on the inboard side, and can look into trying to learn to reboot them whenever these Napa axles crap out after the warranty period.

Last edited:
I usually try to stay with toyota parts when it comes to the drive train. Some online dealers offer decent discounts on their parts as you already know. I'll go to rock auto for a lot of the other stuff like wipers, bulbs, air cleaners, etc.
Yep. The universal stuff every vehicle needs I will get from O'Riley's or AutoZone. Everything else I try and get OEM parts.

I use to go to those places, and auto parts till the inter web came on board. Those brick, and mortar stores are fine if you prefer paying more, or if they have what you need in stock. I still buy my mobil1 oil at wally world...pays to drive another mile further.

I must live right. I do most of my work myself. But over the years I have had to use shops. The first was a fellow who went to school with my mam and dad. When he retired his son in law. When an injury took him out I moved to the younger brother of a high school friend who had taken his dad's shop over. Both of those shops were in business for decades.

Now I use a shop run by a neighbor. The key to finding good shops is to have a long standing relationship with them. Any shop can screw up, it happens. But if a shop does consistently good work and has that screw up I'm not going to write them off. It's how they deal with it that counts.

Thats how a buddies large auto repair garage started by his parents as a family owned business, then it was handed down to the sons. I have to admit the sons never were the brightest techs, but they have a big heart. I still try to do a lot of mine own maintenance work to. I would never feel comfortable letting these guys work on a gen3 tacoma.

The only thing that is off about the cotter pin is that it appears to be a bit small. Even so, the nut can't back off unless it shears the cotter pin.

The cotter pin is an easy thing to replace. Packages of cotter pins are generally less than $1 at the local Big Box store.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about the damage on the Upper Control Arm caused by the hammer welding gorilla. Specifically, why doesn't the shop have the proper joint splitting tools? What other parts were "hammered"?

I think those are called Pitman pullers? such as Timmy the toolman uses to split the joints

1697071625333.png

Back