How has ownership of your truck been so far?

2022 Tacoma, TDR Sport, 4dr, 6' bed, 4x4.
My pickup choices have been Toyota, Chevy, GMC, Ford and Dodge. Of five Toyota's, today I drive my 3rd Tacoma. You probably realize I believe Toyota is the better investment for work and get-about transportation. This forum spot is about ownership I must add an additional experience. Albuquerque NM, June 2010, I drove a new Diesel v6, Sprinter van, Freightliner 2500, off the lot. The out the door price including base price, tax, license, dealers prep was $42K. My owners expenses looks like this: self oil changes $1000, paid mechanical repair issues $3500, two sets of tires $1600 and a bunch of personal addon $$ accessories. After 87K miles and thirteen years of faithful service my Sprinter investment sold for $22K cash to another happy investor.
With 350 mile on odo we drove to Florida, up the east coast and back to Arizona. The odo is sitting at 10,600 miles. Happy with most aspects of this 2022 Tacoma. Wish list: A pillar grab handles or over head grab handles on both sides. The tailgate is way too heavy. An unreasonable amount of noise coming from the engine compartment. Again and unreasonable amount of noise coming from the rollup window channels. Radio system is not GPS adaptable.
Be action reasonable. Be distance safe. Be in a Tacoma.

Attachments

• IMG_8247.JPG
    IMG_8247.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 4
@YumaMel

The engine noise is a tough one to handle. It can be diminished with a lot or work and effort to install sound deadening and absorbing material on the firewall.

The wind noise in the window channels could be simple to repair. The window channel seal maybe damaged or the weatherstripping around the door is a possible source.

Radios are frequently and easily replaced. Look to Crutchfeild.com for numerous options.

I use self adhesive arctic shield from Home Depot 20 bucks a roll. You’ll need two. I used all of one with my access cab just for the doors mind you. But it deadened enough noise for me. I actually like engine noise :p

Except for some occasional crosswind noise, my 3rd gen access cab is fairly quiet. Could be due to all the cosmoline I shot into the rockers, and onto the chassis underneath.

@rocket. You've hit on half of the sound problem.

The "tinny noise" comes from body panels vibrating. Remember, everything has a specific frequency it wants to vibrate. The heavier sound mat, typically a butyl material, is to shift the panel's vibration frequency. This stuff only needs to cover roughly 50-75% of the panel.

The other half is absorption of the sound. This is the thicker foam stuff, typically applied on top of the butyl material, to cover 100% of the panel. The thicker material will absorb the lower frequencies. Road and wind noise is in the higher frequency ranges, so the foam only needs to be about 10mm thick.

I applied both materials to the front doors, access doors and rear panel of my truck. It does make a difference. I still have some road noise, but it is damped and this makes the high frequencies from the stereo more clean with less interference from road noise.

@YumaMel

The engine noise is a tough one to handle. It can be diminished with a lot or work and effort to install sound deadening and absorbing material on the firewall.

The wind noise in the window channels could be simple to repair. The window channel seal maybe damaged or the weatherstripping around the door is a possible source.

Radios are frequently and easily replaced. Look to Crutchfeild.com for numerous options.
Great unexpected response. Thank you.

Yesterday I saw a couple squids walk by pointing to my ride. Wasn’t close enough to overhear them. Not that it matters.

The other day I was on my way home stopped in back of a school bus letting a bunch a school kids out. After the bus resumed its route, this group of kids proceeded to walk in road instead of on the sidewalk not allowing me to continue on without hitting them. So here I am creeping along after them. Getting piss, I blow the horn, and yell out my window to get the hell off the road, try using the sidewalk. Pretty easy to guess all the replies I received.

I would honk my taco horn but it's so wimpy beep beep style
One of my planned modifications is to replace the asthmatic goose honk horn with a 4 tone horn system from PIAA. 330, 400, 500 and 600 Hz to make the voice. Should sound like an early '70s road sled.....think Buick Electra, Ford Galaxy, Caddy DeVille, Chrysler Imperial...... The FULL size cars that could seat 6 adults without sharing each others laps powered by BIG V-8s (460, 455, 400, 350).....

Estimated cost (all in) is less than $150

A lot of rams are Mexico bred. I hadn’t thought of it at the time however lol
The engine in my 2001 Dodge (Ram) was built in Mexico. Bought the truck new. Just turned over 332,000 miles. Only the timing chain has been touched on that 5.9 Magnum engine and that's because the timing chain cover had developed a leak. Had the chain replaced as a precaution. My Celestial Silver 4D 4WD will be here next month. Then the next adventure begins!

I’m pleasantly surprised how much I admire my truck. I’ve owned 4 Toyotas in my 20’s and outgrew them for big 8’ bed trucks and had Denali HD’s and Platinums to my last truck a Canton AT4. It was quick as hell but a tin can with some creature comforts and sellout tires. The seat was too narrow and had a rake that was obnoxious to look at and drive. Just didn’t sit well with me. Fairly smooth ride with good pep to the engine but not for me. I felt like I was goi g to break it at any moment. Sold it to my nephew and got a taco. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the attention to detail on this truck. It rides and feels like a truck albeit small. I thought oil out grew it but always had a place in my heart for the Toyota truck I’m fortunate to enjoy it daily. They hit the nail on the head on this one and I’m sold

I just 125k miles the other day.

Factory clutch
One brake job
One fluid change(lubrication and coolant)
One battery change

All I do is change the engine oil and filters when they need it.

Easy sailing.

Back