needing a new MT clutch procedure

Good clutch kits come with with everything except the flywheel. It's best to just replace it all at once, and when you do it, replace the rear main seal also. Only replace the circular seal unless the housing gasket is leaking.
Those clutch kits don't come with a new pilot bearing, or bushing when I've done them. Your lucky to even get a new throwout bearing.

I always get the ones that come with both bearings, I've never had to buy separately
Seems when looking for the good stuff, it's always sold separately. Back in the day, I was never able to find an entire group of clutch components that were sold together as 1 package. It's still the same with a lot of foreign manufactures like honda and toyota.

Seems when looking for the good stuff, it's always sold separately. Back in the day, I was never able to find an entire group of clutch components that were sold together as 1 package. It's still the same with a lot of foreign manufactures like honda and toyota.
Idk man, I don't have a problem finding it in one package, whether I go to a local dealership, or order online. I just did mine around 8 months ago, in a 99, and had no issues getting it all together, one package.

I've always use genuine toyota, or honda components when working on their respective brands. They just don't sell you a complete set of components to do one of their jobs like replacing a clutch, or rebuilding a transmission. You have to independently buy them separate. I've seen aftermarket companies do it, like ''all balls''offering all the bearings, and seals to rebuild part of the drivetrain on a snowmobile, motorcycles, or atv's.

Best use OEM parts?
Certain things it's best to go OEM. Like with the clutch slave and master cylinders, buy aisin. For bearings, I prefer Japanese, such as koyo or nachi, which are both oe suppliers. For the clutch kit itself it doesn't need to be OEM necessarily, but for the 2 bearings I'd go OEM or another high quality Japanese bearing. I've built literally dozens of Toyotas, anything from rock crawlers to daily driver mild restores, and one thing that irritates me are the OEM EVERYTHING fanboys. Yes, oem is great, but what a lot of people don't realize is you don't have to buy it from Toyota for it to be OEM quality. Just a little research to find alternatives. And no, I don't usually go with O'Reilly's parts either, but some stuff such as remanned calipers and the like, are perfectly fine. This is based off of my experience I stated above.

Certain things it's best to go OEM. Like with the clutch slave and master cylinders, buy aisin. For bearings, I prefer Japanese, such as koyo or nachi, which are both oe suppliers. For the clutch kit itself it doesn't need to be OEM necessarily, but for the 2 bearings I'd go OEM or another high quality Japanese bearing. I've built literally dozens of Toyotas, anything from rock crawlers to daily driver mild restores, and one thing that irritates me are the OEM EVERYTHING fanboys. Yes, oem is great, but what a lot of people don't realize is you don't have to buy it from Toyota for it to be OEM quality. Just a little research to find alternatives. And no, I don't usually go with O'Reilly's parts either, but some stuff such as remanned calipers and the like, are perfectly fine. This is based off of my experience I stated above.
I realize a part of my last post made me seem like an asshole, that wasn't my intention. I use a lot of OEM parts when it comes to engine/transmission and some other things on these rigs.

I agree as far as bearings go. Japanese made bearings just have more consistent/tighter tolerances. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to cross a koyo made bearing to a ntn, which imo, are some of the finest bearings one can buy. For example, I wouldn't sub an oem toyota electrical component like an o2 sensor with an aftermarket, even if built by the same company that supplies those parts to toyota. Toyota specs a higher lever of quality that their parts have to be built to.

I agree as far as bearings go. Japanese made bearings just have more consistent/tighter tolerances. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to cross a koyo made bearing to a ntn, which imo, are some of the finest bearings one can buy. For example, I wouldn't sub an oem toyota electrical component like an o2 sensor with an aftermarket, even if built by the same company that supplies those parts to toyota. Toyota specs a higher lever of quality that their parts have to be built to.
Yes I agree on the electrical parts, however denso makes great "aftermarket" parts. I've used them many times. But as far as hard parts are concerned, most of the time it's fine to go with a reputable aftermarket.

I bought denso o2 sensors in the past to replace the denso ones on my tundra. They were far from the same quality the toyota originals were. Everything on the original o2 denso sensors were heavier, better insulated as far as protecting the wires. The replacements said denso on them, but looked cheaply made.

I bought denso o2 sensors in the past to replace the denso ones on my tundra. They were far from the same quality the toyota originals were. Everything on the original o2 denso sensors were heavier, better insulated as far as protecting the wires. The replacements said denso on them, but looked cheaply made.
There are knock offs too. Cheap crap with a known name put on it. Have to be careful where you buy it from.

I can tell knock offs, or counterfeits from the real deal. These were denso.....they were straight from a denso catalog.

I can tell knock offs, or counterfeits from the real deal. These were denso.....they were straight from a denso catalog.
There are knock offs too. Cheap crap with a known name put on it. Have to be careful where you buy it from.

i bot a bunch of Denso brand air filters from RockAuto
they were stamped made in china
compared them to the Denso branded supplied to Toyota dealer in a Toyota box stamped made in USA
there were noticeable differences in how the filter element was secured to the plastic housing

i bot a bunch of Denso brand air filters from RockAuto
they were stamped made in china
compared them to the Denso branded supplied to Toyota dealer in a Toyota box stamped made in USA
there were noticeable differences in how the filter element was secured to the plastic housing
Exactly, you got denso' s made here strictly to Toyotas specs. and denso products made overseas for everyone else. Its the same thing I posted with their o2 sensors.

there's just 17k more miles 2 go 2 hit the 1/3rd million mile mark :)

but after the funkiness felt climbing the continental divide in stop and go construction traffic this past week i just don't know if we are going to make it that far or not

also, after wheeling hundreds of non-stop miles on the freeway in 5th gear then having to exit for a break or refuel, there is a weirdness going on engaging into 1st gear after a complete stop.
not totally sure as to what is going on there?? :eek:

Back