The Oil Change Interval Dissected

FWIW. Things to consider.....

Ask an Engineer if the extended oil change interval will allow the engine to survive the 100 kmile warranty period. His answer will be Yes, most will.

Will the engine run for 300K? Maybe. 200K? Maybe.

Marketing can now claim their trucks are "lower maintenance". Not many manufacturers warranty over 100 kmiles.

It all comes down to managing the risk and cost to the manufacturer. As the interval is extended, the risk of failure increases. As mileage increases, the risk of failure increases.

To me. A DIY oil change only costs about $35 2X/year using a 5K interval. A failed engine due to oil breakdown will cost well into the $5K range. That is equivalent to 142 oil changes or about 70 years or 710 kmiles.

So, you do a change at a 10k interval to save $35/year. Your risk (or the next owner) is somewhere down the road an oil breakdown will fail the engine. Now, you have a problem......just to save $35/year. That is less than $3/month.

It isn't too $$wise to extend oil changes.

To me, saving $3/month to gamble a $5K repair.......just ain't worth it.

Remember, this type of failure is not immediate. It is a failure from accumulations.
I couldn’t agree with you more on your post.. the prople that push their oil changes to 10,000 miles (I can guarantee they go further than that but won’t admit it) are the same ones that’ll lie straight faced to the mechanic when their truck explodes scratching their heads and say “I change the oil every 5K. Duhhh… also the same ones that drink the milk out of the fridge a month past it’s expiration date. Lol. Lol. Ya just can’t confuse some individuals with common sense!! They either got it or don’t got it!! Cheers Brutha!!

As far those gear oils like the transfer case and differentials its always been 30k miles for me. When a vehicle is quite a bit for towing i always did a 4 qt drain, and replace of my atf every 15k miles. I haven't decided yet what the interval will be for changing the atf on this gen3 tacoma. So far the automatic in this truck has been performing fine at nearly 20k miles. Another 10k or so i'll be doing those gear changes. Transfer case requires a special fluid. Seem's toyota has sort of cornered the market on this.

i used to NOT gett my pockets raped getting those gear oils changed on my dealers 30k/60k/90k service intervals (late 90s to late 2000s), it was all part of a package that i knew what i was getting
then when these Gen2 taco's came along my local Gen1 service interval packages also stopped, leaving me to fend on my own to request 'special' services
when i finally got it over 120k miles and they told me i would need to pork out nearly 400$ for the 4 gear box fluid changes i was aghast :eek:

Last edited:
i used to NOT gett my pockets raped getting those gear oils changed on my dealers 30k/60k/90k service intervals (late 90s to late 2000s), it was all part of a package that i knew what i was getting
when these Gen2 taco's came along my local Gen1 service interval packages also stopped, leaving me to fend on my own to request 'special' services
when i finally got it over 120k miles finally and they told me i would need to pork out nearly 400$ for the 4 gear box fluid changes i was aghast :eek:
YouTube university is where I go when I want to learn how to do something myself like that & save the money, crack open a beer in the garage and work on it myself BUT I’m also the guy that doesn’t like anyone working on my truck except me because I’ve seen what some mechanics do when they take the “quick route”.

@JayQQ97

Changing the Xfer case, F/R diffs and tranny fluid are no more complex than changing engine oil.

The only difficulty with the Xfer case and diffs is breaking the plugs loose and needing a pump for refill.

The Auto tranny is a little tricky, but only to check the fill level.

Save your $$$. These are easy DIY tasks.

@JayQQ97

Changing the Xfer case, F/R diffs and tranny fluid are no more complex than changing engine oil.

The only difficulty with the Xfer case and diffs is breaking the plugs loose and needing a pump for refill.

The Auto tranny is a little tricky, but only to check the fill level.

Save your $$$. These are easy DIY tasks.
sometimes its below zero!! here in the winter on the Missouri river when those needed changing and i have no heated garage lol

as far as the complexity the only obstruction in the way is the front skid plate/splash shields to access the front diff plugs, then to get the truck up high enough so that its still level to get under safely and everything drains out fully whilst dealing with chronic neck mobility issues that makes it take 3x longer than someone younger that can squirm around on the ground on the back of his/her head better

Hey.....I'm 62 yo. I have learned a few tricks.

My creeper is a sheet of cardboard. It gives a bit of insulation and cushion against cold concrete. 3 ton high lift jack and 6 ton jack stands. Long breaker bar. All my 1/2" drive sockets are impact rated. Occasionally, I'll use the air compressor and the impact gun on the stubborn fasteners. Although, I prefer a less aggressive method using manual techniques.

Most important. I allow 2-3x the time to do the job. Also, a keen eye on the weather. Right now, I'm looking forward to complete any under-work that is due this winter while it is Fall before the temps become frigid. I really dislike winter. If I could hibernate.......I would.

sometimes its below zero!! here in the winter on the Missouri river when those needed changing and i have no heated garage lol

as far as the complexity the only obstruction in the way is the front skid plate/splash shields to access the front diff plugs, then to get the truck up high enough so that its still level to get under safely and everything drains out fully whilst dealing with chronic neck mobility issues that makes it take 3x longer than someone younger that can squirm around on the ground on the back of his/her head better
I can see how a ZERO degree garage could cause a bit of a problem. LMAO. Could get a portable little plug in heater though, I bought one for my wife for when she’s wrapping presents in my garage at Christmas and I was amazed of how well this little thing heated up my entire garage. I use it all the time in the winter. Hope this helps

Hey.....I'm 62 yo. I have learned a few tricks.

My creeper is a sheet of cardboard. It gives a bit of insulation and cushion against cold concrete. 3 ton high lift jack and 6 ton jack stands. Long breaker bar. All my 1/2" drive sockets are impact rated. Occasionally, I'll use the air compressor and the impact gun on the stubborn fasteners. Although, I prefer a less aggressive method using manual techniques.

Most important. I allow 2-3x the time to do the job. Also, a keen eye on the weather. Right now, I'm looking forward to complete any under-work that is due this winter while it is Fall before the temps become frigid. I really dislike winter. If I could hibernate.......I would.
I personally love the winter because I dint care for the summers here in Las Vegas where you stand still in the shade and drip with sweat. Lol. Lol. But I’m the one that moved here so I can’t really bitch too much :). Only cold here for 4 months out of the year though… I used to use the cardboard creeper like you but I invested in a cheapy from harbor freight and I throw an old car wash towel on it and it works so damn good that I’ve fallen asleep on it under my truck admiring my handy work, but that’s also after I’ve had 5 or 6 beers soooo.. :-/

Oh....another trick I've learned.

Take the truck for a drive, get it up to operating temperature. Park in the garage, close the garage doors. Wait about an hour. The garage will warm up as the truck cools. Now, the truck is warm (not hot) and the garage is above OMG cold.

Central IA easily has cold months when temps can reach -25F. Then you can add wind chill.

then when these Gen2 taco's came along my local Gen1 service interval packages also stopped, leaving me to fend on my own to request 'special' services
when i finally got it over 120k miles and they told me i would need to pork out nearly 400$ for the 4 gear box fluid changes i was aghast :eek:
I've always done the fluid changes on my trucks in the driveway as its so simple. I just don't wait till winter to do them. I'll pick a nice fall day when temps are in the 60's. $400 is crazy.

YouTube university is where I go when I want to learn how to do something myself like that & save the money, crack open a beer in the garage and work on it myself BUT I’m also the guy that doesn’t like anyone working on my truck except me because I’ve seen what some mechanics do when they take the “quick route”.
I have gained quite a bit of knowledge from Toyota time with Timmy the toolman youTube channel

I've always done the fluid changes on my trucks in the driveway as its so simple. I just don't wait till winter to do them. I'll pick a nice fall day when temps are in the 60's. $400 is crazy.
It's also that much at a quick lube place
100$ per gear box!
It's a half hour labour rate per so two hours plus that fluid that seems a bit pricey per quart that is not on a current sale

Another video, this guy is full of chit on. For one thing he hasn't any idea how the owner, or dealer did the maintenance, or what quality oil was used....it's all say so taking the customers word on it. I've seen more Toyotas than I can count that owners did 10k mile synthetic oil changes with over 200k miles, and not touch a drop of oil.

Another video, this guy is full of chit on. For one thing he hasn't any idea how the owner, or dealer did the maintenance, or what quality oil was used....it's all say so taking the customers word on it. I've seen more Toyotas than I can count that owners did 10k mile synthetic oil changes with over 200k miles, and not touch a drop of oil.
Yeah he had for this car ALL service records from yota dealer
10k changes
It barely outlasted warranty and engine was roasted

Dealer oil was used... So cheaper the better they use

Did you see the recent engine oil analysis on my rig?

I went a bit over 8400 OCI and there was more wear items of note than when I went 5700 on a prior lab analysis

Is that a big surprise????

Still urge you to follow the Mfr's recommended Oil Change Interval. The little bit of $$ you save could easily be consumed with a major engine repair.....not to mention the down time.

Oh well. It is your choice. I'll stick with the 5k OCI using 5w30 full syn oil and a WIX filter. Then I can keep the $$$ for the oil analysis in my pocket and have no concerns about engine lube.

The oil analysis I am doing once in awhile is purposed to alert to ANY traces of coolant in the crankcase oil
So that I may then start socking away some good coin on the future HG repair

The oil analysis I am doing once in awhile is purposed to alert to ANY traces of coolant in the crankcase oil
So that I may then start socking away some good coin on the future HG repair
What happens if the HG leaks into the exhaust side of the manifold? The analysis will never indicate a problem........

Back