the pilot bearing...

Thats how they usually package them, but it mean nothing as what bearing manufacture made the bearing.
Toyota is now sourcing oil seals made in China,
Or did U know that already
Also got some OEM seals gaskets made in Vietnam

WHAT DOES THE PILOT BEARING DO ?
When you push your clutch pedal down to the floor the clutch disc is no longer squeezed against the flywheel . The purpose of the pilot bearing is to support the radial load of the spinning clutch disc when the clutch disc is moved away from the flywheel . A clutch disc doesnt seem heavy when you hold it in your hands , but think about when you dump your clutch at 5000 rpm hehehe . If you beleive your pilot bearing is on its way out , Its going to make noise when you have your clutch pedal pushed down .

Here is what a bad pilot bearing sounds like

Has anyone (@gearcruncher
:boink:
) come across a dimension for the R155F input shaft end, specifically where it mates the pilot bearing? Even the ID of the pilot bearing would work. Can't find anything in the FSM and my google fu is failing me.

Mine has some obvious, but not terrible wear (@160k) and I'm concerned that it may need to be replaced or sleeved so it mates with the pilot bearing correctly. Should have noticed it earlier, but of course I didn't till after the clutch/flywheel was replaced.

Best photo with me...

1704280013902.png

Grab a new pilot bearing and try slipping it onto the input shaft . Does the pilot bearing wobble when you move it back and fourth ? If yes , the input shaft needs replacement . The only time the pilot bearing is in use is when you have your clutch pedal down . The spinning clutch disc is pulled away from the flywheeel and this is when the pilot bearing begins supporting the spinning clutch disc . You will hear noise when the clutch is pushed down .

Last edited:
what my rigs input shaft looks like at 341k with factory pilot bearing scarring

input shaft at 341k at TCCN.jpg

You need to replace the shaft. The bearing's view that shaft is extremely undersized and worn.

The bearing depends on the press fit between the inner race and shaft.

If you do not replace the shaft, then expect the bearing to fail very very very early.

Try to avoid stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

Already told jay the tranny need to be rebuilt now. Good time as any to kill 2 birds with one stone. I'm sure at those miles there's going to be more in that tranny out of spec. or ready to be. Should have sent that truck down the road 150k miles ago....now you're looking at a bottomless money pit.

Agreed. He delayed needed repairs/maintenance too long when reaching for arbitrary mileage goals.

Now, the wallet needs to be real deep to support repairs or replacement.

Ya know......the irony..... He hasn't reached his goal. And the truck is in the process of disintegrating......

Buuuuuuttttt... don't forget.... He has a buddy in CO with a supercharged 4 popper with 800,000 miles and not a lick of maintenance.

No...that dude is already on his 2nd, or 3rd engine. Probably a lot of other major parts to.
I've had toyota 4wd pickups since the 70's that I've piled up my share of miles when younger racing motocross bikes across the east u.s. You develop a sense when its time to unload a vehicle while it's still worth something.

No...that dude is already on his 2nd, or 3rd engine. Probably a lot of other major parts to.
I've had toyota 4wd pickups since the 70's that I've piled up my share of miles when younger racing motocross bikes across the east u.s. You develop a sense when its time to unload a vehicle while it's still worth something.
I never believed the claim. We need a sarcasm font.

? recommend 100k miles to next pilot bearing maintenance whether clutch needs replaced or not?
more miles? less miles?

Change it when you think something doesn't sound, or feel right with the clutch. I always got rid of my Toyotas before hitting 250k while they were still worth a few bucks, plus i'm no fan of manuals....they seem to always bite me in the ass. I kept my tundra too long. With all the repairs it needed, the cost to do them just kept adding up more than it was worth, while waiting for the right time to buy the taco. I saw covid coming, and knew from past experience this was as good as any time to get my butt in gear for a new truck.

That is good advice, thank U!
Regarding that pilot bearing
Truck is worth nothing but scrap or less

Last edited:
its probably a good practice to also have the rear main oil seal on the crank replaced again when the pilot bearing needs to be replaced, whether the clutch is in good working order or not, which would depend upon a hands-on exam when its all taken apart to get at the pilot bearing, if that clutch cover needs unbolted to get at the pilot bearing, which i have no clue about at the moment...

Back