What oil are all of ya using?

Gregzzz

I am 55 and have religiously used Castrol my entire life, stated off with regular Castrol 20/50 conventional in my first truck when I was a kid that was an 84 Toyota pick up with the unbeatable 22R motor. Since I bought my 2011 V-6 Tacoma I’ve always used Castrol Edge 10/30 but I noticed they’ve changed something in their synthetic too something called “Carbon Neutral” so since I don’t know what that is I just switched today to Valvoline Full synthetic 10/30. Just curious what you all are using? Also what filters ya like? I use “WIX”. Hope all is well with everyone and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Have used Valvoline 5w30 semi synthetic blend
Currently using Havoline 5w30 semi synthetic... made by Chevron
With the Smart change box with less plastic so I can do my part
It also is 6qt whereas the Valvoline is 5qt so I must use a partial with that to get it full
upload_2022-9-10_21-28-15.png

Last edited:
I am 55 and have religiously used Castrol my entire life, stated off with regular Castrol 20/50 conventional in my first truck when I was a kid that was an 84 Toyota pick up with the unbeatable 22R motor. Since I bought my 2011 V-6 Tacoma I’ve always used Castrol Edge 10/30 but I noticed they’ve changed something in their synthetic too something called “Carbon Neutral” so since I don’t know what that is I just switched today to Valvoline Full synthetic 10/30. Just curious what you all are using? Also what filters ya like? I use “WIX”. Hope all is well with everyone and I look forward to hearing from you all.
it just occurred to me i was using that same Castrol 20w/50 in the late '70s Celica gt i had 30yrs ago with the 20R engine that had a leaky oilpan iirc

In my 86 Truck 22RE, I've used Castrol GTX 10w-40 since I bought it new 36 years and 480,700 miles. It's an older engine so doesn't need sewing machine thin oil like the modern variable valve engines. Good ole "POS" Dino oil change every 5000 miles. Still burns less than 1/2 quart between oil changes. Start 1st crank within seconds, idles smooth even for a 22RE, and gets 32 mgh at 65 mph with a 5-speed OD and 3.57 differential. Has been my only daily driver for 36 years and still is.

Use the recommended oil weight and type from any brand is more than good enough as long as you do oils changes on schedule. It's not a race car. They are all good these days, even Walmart brand.

In my 86 Truck 22RE, I've used Castrol GTX 10w-40 since I bought it new 36 years and 480,700 miles. It's an older engine so doesn't need sewing machine thin oil like the modern variable valve engines. Good ole "POS" Dino oil change every 5000 miles. Still burns less than 1/2 quart between oil changes. Start 1st crank within seconds, idles smooth even for a 22RE, and gets 32 mgh at 65 mph with a 5-speed OD and 3.57 differential. Has been my only daily driver for 36 years and still is.

Use the recommended oil weight and type from any brand is more than good enough as long as you do oils changes on schedule. It's not a race car. They are all good these days, even Walmart brand.
Yeah I use 10/30 even though my truck calls for 5/30 because I’m in Vegas and travel to the face of the sun a lot on weekends (Arizona) so I like to run just a little bit thicker oil but not enough to hurt anything just to be safe.

what's the best oil for sub-zero temp starts
it sometimes gets colder than that here in the middle USA, it all depends on that Alberta clipper :cool:

Don't get too wound up over brands. If it meets or exceeds the API grade specification for your truck, then good to go.

The viscosity can be important. But most multi-viscosity grades (0W, 5W, 10W) as the first designation (ie 10W30) can flow at -20F.

Check the oil fill cap on the truck. It probably has the viscosity marked on it.

Yeah I use 10/30 even though my truck calls for 5/30 because I’m in Vegas and travel to the face of the sun a lot on weekends (Arizona) so I like to run just a little bit thicker oil but not enough to hurt anything just to be safe.
Next oil change i plan on trying 5w-30 instead of the 0w-20 that toyota calls for in this country. Idk why mobil 1 5w-30 is cheaper, and far more available in wally world here than their same 0w-20 synthetic oil. Must be the quantities of each they buy from mobil.

Back