2018 Tacoma engine noise!! Annoying

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by ScreaminYoda, Jan 10, 2018.

1. kupono

kupono New Member

My 2016 TRD Sport does the same thing. I hear that all 3rd Gen tacomas do it. I have seen on other forums that four runners also do it. Sounds like a huge cricket. It starts after driving for awhile. I was told it was the high pressure fuel pump as well and that it is normal too. Your video doesn’t sound like the high pressure fuel pump squeak it sounds like a knocking. I would question that it is the high pressure fuel pump causing that noise.

Bogunn likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

4. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

5. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

Mines never sounded like that. 17 TRD OR. ? Maybe ive never paid attention but if it was loud as the video, I probably would know.

SomeDirtyCuban likes this.
  6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

You would know.

7. kupono

kupono New Member

Mine just started doing it and I currently have 26,000 miles. It you look on other forums or search for “Tacoma high pressure fuel pump squeak” you’ll get a feel for how many people have this issue. It was suggested that I try non ethanol gas. Luckily there is a station near by that sells it. I’ll post again after trying it.

OR17TRD likes this.
  8. dionnys

dionnys Member

Mine makes a tick that Toyota says is normal, With 250 miles I took it to a dealer in New Jersey and my complain is documented. I also complain in the dealer I bought it in Massachusetts, they documented it in my vehicle maintenance history their answer is: there is no solution jet but Toyota is aware and working on it. Later I tested drive two Tacoma of the same year in Tampa FL dealers and they have the same tick as mine.
    The sound in the video is no good, take it back and make sure they document your complain now just in case. Good luck

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    ScreaminYoda likes this.
  9. Joe Borzelleri

Joe Borzelleri New Member

My 2018 TRD Off Road makes the same sound at idle.

ScreaminYoda likes this.
  10. OP
    ScreaminYoda

ScreaminYoda Well-Known Member

That sucks. Makes me feel better knowing it's not just me but sucks for all of us.

11. Walt

Walt Member

12. Walt

Walt Member

Mine is a 17 and does the same thing at first I thought I bought a diesel

SomeDirtyCuban and Bogunn like this.
  13. OP
    ScreaminYoda

ScreaminYoda Well-Known Member

Sad

14. filamb

filamb Member

My 2013 has a ticking sound also. But not as bad as that. The dealership never said anything about it. It has always bugged me. I have just over 50k miles on it. Maybe it’s the fuel pump everyone keeps mentioning.

ScreaminYoda likes this.
  15. Justin Simundson

Justin Simundson New Member

Exact same thing here

That noise kicks in and out once its warm...also when my truck is cold and warming up it sounds like a diesel too... but once warm purrs. Sold my old dodge because it was starting to get noisy, only to buy a even noisier new truck lol. Got a 2017 double cab sport 6sp manual.

16. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

This really does sound horrible. I thought the previous 4.0 was loud and rattly. Geeez..

17. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

rattle?

kp.taco likes this.
  18. jrdemasi

jrdemasi New Member

@ScreaminYoda Did you ever get a resolution to this? @Justin Simundson Or you? Just got a 2018 TRD Sport and have the same noise. It worried me, but I'm feeling a little better at least after reading that others have the same thing going on.

19. lcarrasco212

lcarrasco212 Well-Known Member

Quick question. What fuel do you use?

20. jrdemasi

jrdemasi New Member

Whatever the dealer put in? :)

Bogunn likes this.
  21. lcarrasco212

lcarrasco212 Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Congrats on your tacoma!