77,777 milestone

Truck must be jacked up a bit to reach drain plug on oil pan
Just enough before front wheel come off ground and still cannot reach it with both hands

IMG_20231118_123655_325.jpg

No joker!
I could only get one hand on the drain plug and it was quite a reach
Perhaps that undercover no.1 that I just painted and reinstalled has to come off to get more shoulder room?

Last edited:
happened to take a gander at the power steering oil level in the reservoir yesterday

and ya there was absolutely NO ps oil on the checker stick, not a drop...

wtfh :confused:

No joker!
I could only get one hand on the drain plug and it was quite a reach
Perhaps that undercover no.1 that I just painted and reinstalled has to come off to get more shoulder room?
I assume you are talking about the '11 Gen2. Nope, the front shield does not need to be removed to access the oil pan drain plug. Neither does the truck need to be lifted. Just lay on your back to reach over head with a rachet or a box end.

Try not to make things more complex than they are.

happened to take a gander at the power steering oil level in the reservoir yesterday

and ya there was absolutely NO ps oil on the checker stick, not a drop...

wtfh :confused:
Gee, I wonder why this happened to a truck with only 330k miles on it?

Well..... I can narrow it down. Can't say for sure unless I could put my hands on it.

I suspect...... The weeping steering rack seals as a primary. Next would be inner tie rod boot allowing debris to enter. Or lack of PS fluid change at the interval.

Extra damage could easily be the PS pump. Hydraulic pumps abhor running low on fluid. Close tolerances, very smooth mating surfaces and all. The steering rack is likely damaged also. I believe neither the pump nor the rack are the root cause of the issues. They are victims.

Although, this is entertaining. I'm really interested in the condition of the clutch once its all apart. I suspect everything between the engine and the transmission input shaft is up for replacement. Damage could even extend into the trans judging by the posts about shifting behavior.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
This truck does not have that kind of ps reservoir
It's a metal one

IMG_20231112_140000_463.jpg

Last edited:
hunnh.......the 1GR-FE does. Thought your in-laws Gen2 had the good engine.

Anyhow, the cap will still open to check. Assuming they could open it.

Back