How has ownership of your truck been so far?

I had automatics on my 22re 86, and 93 3.0 v6. Both trucks felt way underpowered. Can't say the same for this 2020 3.5 auto, its a rocket.

Is it that bad in Des Moines?
Sounds pleasant
I'm about 1 hour drive North of Des Moines. Yes, It pretty bad, but its normal IA winter.

After last night's snowfall, all the city roads have about 1/2-1 inch snow pack on top of the pavement. Brine or salt will do little except to help create glaze polished ice.

FWIW, 4WD is worthless on ice or snow pack. The truck will just crab sideways around corners. I typically will use 2WD and work the throttle to slew the rear end around corners and counter steer as needed.

I'm about 1 hour drive North of Des Moines. Yes, It pretty bad, but its normal IA winter.

After last night's snowfall, all the city roads have about 1/2-1 inch snow pack on top of the pavement. Brine or salt will do little except to help create glaze polished ice.

FWIW, 4WD is worthless on ice or snow pack. The truck will just crab sideways around corners. I typically will use 2WD and work the throttle to slew the rear end around corners and counter steer as needed.
4x4 ‘s will get you into trouble just as quick if your not on your game. But ya have a half a chance of driving out of trouble too. So there is that.

FWIW, my truck was made in USA......iirc Fresno was its birthplace. Toyota has many factories located throughout the USA.

I've had the truck since Feb 2020. Purchased with 105 Kmiles and in need of the 100K maintenance. The AT behind the 4.0L V-6 has plenty of ummmphh to move the truck. Its not a Ferrari and not as fast as my 500cc motorcycle, but its a truck that is used as a truck.

Running 70 mph, it'll get 20-21 mpg. The last towing task was dragging a tandem axle 12x8 U-Haul trailer loaded with a 1 bdrm apartment furniture. Battled a stiff 30 mph headwind the entire 300 mile trip. U-haul trailers pull like a barn with no wheels. I had to take on 4 tanks of fuel for that pull. I averaged about 6-8 mpg......damn U-Haul........

I'm pleased and happy with this truck. It's probably the last truck I'll own before I'm placed in the fire.

Pretty much the same with my 2020 sr5 3,5 v6 access cab . Truck was built in texas. I'll get an honest 22 mpg highway at 70-75 mph in summer temps. Towing my 5x10 utility trailer with my sled, and gear in it will get 19 mpg at 50-65 mph during winter. Its still a rocket pulling that trailer when needed.

FWIW, my truck was made in USA......iirc Fresno was its birthplace. Toyota has many factories located throughout the USA.

I've had the truck since Feb 2020. Purchased with 105 Kmiles and in need of the 100K maintenance. The AT behind the 4.0L V-6 has plenty of ummmphh to move the truck. Its not a Ferrari and not as fast as my 500cc motorcycle, but its a truck that is used as a truck.

Running 70 mph, it'll get 20-21 mpg. The last towing task was dragging a tandem axle 12x8 U-Haul trailer loaded with a 1 bdrm apartment furniture. Battled a stiff 30 mph headwind the entire 300 mile trip. U-haul trailers pull like a barn with no wheels. I had to take on 4 tanks of fuel for that pull. I averaged about 6-8 mpg......damn U-Haul........

I'm pleased and happy with this truck. It's probably the last truck I'll own before I'm placed in the fire.
I filled up after 289 miles 17.4 gallons. So quick math. Right around 16.5 mpg. Fully loaded. And didn’t take any prisoners. In other words she was floored a few times.

I suppose my '97 was mostly assembled in USA somewhere in CA perhaps nummi??
Engine and transmission built in Japan if memory serves i and probably some other vital parts thrown in there

Waiting for the next big repair part failure
I hate to think that its going to be coming in wavves down upon I :confused:

Last edited:
Even if you're chained to dig it out down deep?

Even if you're chained to dig it out down deep?
I don't think chains are legal in IA.

I try not to drive in deep snow. Driving in snow storms or blizzards can be life threatening dangerous. I've spent time holed up in a car that has found the ditch sunk in snow up to the door handles. That was a long tough 7 hours........never again. I was lucky.

I don't think chains are legal in IA.

I try not to drive in deep snow. Driving in snow storms or blizzards can be life threatening dangerous. I've spent time holed up in a car that has found the ditch sunk in snow up to the door handles. That was a long tough 7 hours........never again. I was lucky.
You can't use chains out on the countr?? Low maintenance roads
I was not meaning chaining up for a blizzard run on i235 through the middle of Des Moines! :rolleyes:

Took me nearly a entire 24 hr day driving in a nor-easter blizzard from quebec city to connecticut towing my 2 place enclosed trailers with snowmobiles inside. Worst trip i every had.

You can't use chains out on the countr?? Low maintenance roads
I was not meaning chaining up for a blizzard run on i235 through the middle of Des Moines! :rolleyes:
Nope. Illegal on any road in the State. Yes, even the gravel roads are State roads.
Studded snow tires are the same.

Your private road.......do as you like.

Not positive, but chains are allowed on the roads in our state, but only during a winter storm if roads are icy, otherwise you will get cited.

140 pounds of sand back in the bed
Checking things out underneath it all
Noticed the leafs developed a sad frown :(
This is going to cost some good coin
What leafs should I look at for quality replacement

140 pounds of sand back in the bed
Checking things out underneath it all
Noticed the leafs developed a sad frown :(
This is going to cost some good coin
What leafs should I look at for quality replacement

Make sure to only spend BAD coin on the truck. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, what is the difference between good and bad coin???

am trying to remember where i heard that phrase from, some southern redneck hicktown thing perhaps

here's one meaning that could fit... "money that might usefully be spent elsewhere"

Back