needing a new MT clutch procedure

Only other recommendation is to find a good shop, and stick with them. There's a ton of them out there....gotta be someone decent. Usually a Napa shop does decent work, but then again its really depend on the tech's working there.

Only other recommendation is to find a good shop, and stick with them. There's a ton of them out there....gotta be someone decent. Usually a Napa shop does decent work, but then again its really depend on the tech's working there.

I have tried MANY local places outside of the dealership and all seem to be sketchy sketchy sketchy
then there is this... the issue with most of those places is the use of parts aftermarket Chinese JUNK and the way they rake them up to just rape U pokcets
they do not use OEM parts nor do they allow I to bring in my supplied genuine OEM parts that i save BIG BUCKS on during the holiday sales... hundreds upon hundreds of savings
such as this current bearing and wheel hub needing replaced... saving over 200$ from the MSRP

there is a Yota shop that specialize in the old Tacomas outside of Denver Colorado
i have not stopped in there yet, though to see whut all they know

What have you against these new tacoma's? Sure they've grown, but at the same time they ride nicer, and get better fuel economy. Knowing what I know from having those older compact 4x4 toyota pickups, I wouldn't go back to one unless involved in setting one up for serious off roading.. Even with these newer trucks you're still able to perform basic maintenance on them.

they do ride nicer and are quieter for the most part, i cannot argue with that!
except for my relatives '11 single cab AT... it rides nice and quiet with windows + slider open at 85mph
but! if you are going 65 and need to get upto 80 it is NOT going there in any hurry like my truck will.
it has ZERO throttle response in 4th gear D... it just dumps gas going nowhere

the angry muscular sexy horse comment in this video speaks for itself
although that only applies to the 95.5 '96 and '97 model years for 4wd and 95.5 and '96 for the 5-luggers
that aggressive sporty look changed in 1998 unfortunately :confused:

I would most definitely take a serious look at a Gen3 that was a regular single cab with V6 and MT 4wd

they do ride nicer and are quieter for the most part, i cannot argue with that!
except for my relatives '11 single cab AT... it rides nice and quiet with windows + slider open at 85mph
but! if you are going 65 and need to get upto 80 it is NOT going there in any hurry like my truck will.
it has ZERO throttle response in 4th gear D... it just dumps gas going nowhere

the angry muscular sexy horse comment in this video speaks for itself
although that only applies to the 95.5 '96 and '97 model years for 4wd and 95.5 and '96 for the 5-luggers
that aggressive sporty look changed in 1998 unfortunately :confused:

I would most definitely take a serious look at a Gen3 that was a regular single cab with V6 and MT 4wd
You stab the skinny pedal in my truck at 60 mph, you'll be up to 90 quicker than you can count to it. I use to think my 2001 v8 tundra was pretty fast. This 3.5 v6 tacoma will smoke it with ease. It has surprised a couple owners that had those old 80's vetts.

What have you against these new tacoma's? Sure they've grown, but at the same time they ride nicer, and get better fuel economy. Knowing what I know from having those older compact 4x4 toyota pickups, I wouldn't go back to one unless involved in setting one up for serious off roading.. Even with these newer trucks you're still able to perform basic maintenance on them.
Well Everybody's got one, since they pretty much more or less replaced the minivan that I see so few vans in these days
Gen3 everywhere!, nothing special or noteworthy imo

Getting that stick into 3rd still is being a trickydick, gotta ease it on in with care not to grindit
December cannot get here soon enuff

I am thinking to push this old clutch to about 1/3rd million miles

The mission is accomplished :)
Triggered in the middle of Tennessee at a BP fueling station very late in the dark evening after a wheel in the mountains

clutch bearing is definitely still chirpin' away like songbird in driveThru
nearing 337k

stupid clutch cover ordered back in early July is now on backorder until February 2o24
wot'n tarnation :confused:

1697203883335.png

check 36:30 timeStamp
source of the weirdissh rattle at hot temps?
3rd gear 4th gear rattle accelerating upto 3k RPM shift

Last edited:
stupid clutch cover ordered back in early July is now on backorder until February 2o24
wot'n tarnation :confused:
Have you considered cancelling the order then get the parts from someone who has them in stock??? Like NAPA or RockAuto or numerous places.......

Toyota wanted me to wait 20+ days for CV Axles......I said no. Ordered from NAPA, had the parts 3 days later.....installed myself the following Saturday. Roughly 7 days after telling Toyota to cancel. Ironically, Toyota called me 6 weeks later to let me know the CV Axles were in.

I suppose you could wait until the clutch falls out of the truck. How many times have the parts been delayed??? 2....3 times. I have said before, the longer you wait, the more damage will happen. I suspect you're in for a flywheel and transmission work too.

Back