Undercoating

it maybe the newer ones?

The Ridgeline's rust issues are fairly well documented; after all, the truck has been recalled for that very recently. We've written about it here back in June 2022; Honda recalled Ridgelines in rust belt states explicitly for rusting rear fuel tank and subframe issues.22 hours ago

If your living in the salt belt, and want to keep your vehicle, you better use some type of rust inhibitor if any steel is in that chassis.

spread the word to those ignorant clueless people out there, i was one of those people 4 years ago :oops:
i did use the dealer rubbery tar undercoating back in the 1990s
and then one day it all washed out from underbody pressure car washer at the Gorilla
OMG :eek: i never ever saw that under there before

spread the word to those ignorant clueless people out there, i was one of those people 4 years ago :oops:
i did use the dealer rubbery tar undercoating back in the 1990s
and then one day it all washed out from underbody pressure car washer at the Gorilla
OMG :eek: i never ever saw that under there before
Reminds me of back in the day when a had this pea green 1973 Datsun 610 pickup. After 5 years the fenders totally rotted away flapping in the wind as you drove the truck. I ended up using several sheets of fiberglass cloth, and resin to patch them back in place. Even the gas tank had a hole that rusted through. Bought some fuel tank epoxy and patched the hole.

Somewhere in that T4R video the car nut mentions 'undercoating' with all the rust under up front

For one it stinks. Likely to burn off, or start a fire if on the exhaust.

I had the opportunity to check the test spot of black cosmoline I sprayed on the cat mount weeks ago
It didn't smell that I could tell and it appears to be holding up well, just a little hard to the touch.
The rest of that cat mount is very crusty

Maybe it needs a little sanding then cosmo application
Or just spray the cosmoline right over the top of the crusted?

You need to wire wheel, or wire brush all the crusty stuff away, use a rust converter, then some paint. Once cured, you can cosmoline it to your hearts content.

i do have some very high temp VHT paint (cost 50$ for a pint!) for it but it won't adhere to rust that i am aware of the cat mount is in a very tight confined area to get at easily with the truck sufficiently elevated
doing all of that is very overkill if the cosmoline will sufficiently just cover it up make it look badAzz!

a pic could help, i can try to get one or two shots

i do have some very high temp VHT paint (cost 50$ for a pint!) for it but it won't adhere to rust that i am aware of the cat mount is in a very tight confined area to get at easily with the truck sufficiently elevated
doing all of that is very overkill if the cosmoline will sufficiently just cover it up make it look badAzz!

a pic could help, i can try to get one or two shots
Use a good oil based paint.

here is a pic of what i am looking at on the cat mount
maybe that piece the black cosmo is sprayed on does not get all that hot, i have never tried touching it after a hot run lmao
it connects to the rubber mount hangar things so perhaps it does not get hot, i never thought about that, where is my head at o_O

IMG_7712.JPG

Even a high heat resistant paint is going to eventually fail. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to exhaust components. Your lucky its lasted that long.

Even a high heat resistant paint is going to eventually fail. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to exhaust components. Your lucky its lasted that long.

a nice large hole in the side of the Yota muffler developed around 10-15 years ago
had exhaust fumes in the winter (you could see it then) that came right up into the passenger midsection and the passenger door if the wind was right,

a nice large hole in the side of the Yota muffler developed around 10-15 years ago
had exhaust fumes in the winter (you could see it then) that came right up into the passenger midsection and the passenger door if the wind was right,
You are aware that prolong expose to exhaust fumes will cause mental impairment, not to mention carbon monoxide poisoning.

You are aware that prolong expose to exhaust fumes will cause mental impairment, not to mention carbon monoxide poisoning.

my pops had a '76 Ford eco van. leaded-fuel only, in the late '70s

THOSE leaded exhaust fumes were toxic in the winter when you could see and sniff 'em o_O

Back