What did you do to (or with) your truck today?

Quite ride, good on dry, and wet pavement, very good in deep snow. Says the thread wear is better than goodyears, and some others he had.....just a great all around all terrain tire.
I had general a/t2's at one time. I swear were the best tire I ever had in deep snow, but the sucked when the dirt roads here turned to deep mud ruts.

6xzmSfFnjfHP2f1qj1znX9.jpg

I got new tires for it. Some KO2’s in stock size the Goodyear wranglers that came on it were bad and weren’t wearing well. I wanted some KO3’s or wildpeak ATW4’s. They don’t come in the stock size or a proper load rating. So far they seem to ride much better. I thought about getting a take size, but I didn’t want to deal with having to correct the odometer at this time.
I took it camping and broke the tires in on the dirt roads. I wasn’t at high enough elevation to get any snow, just rain. So far I’m liking the new tires over the original ones. Better grip off-road and better manners on road over the Goodyear AT’s that came on it. The new ones weigh more, but also have a higher load rating. The original tires were SL rated, but the new ones are E rated. A bit too much for the Tacoma, but for stock size I only had the options of SL, XL, and E. I would have been happy with C rated if it was offered in the size, but anything less wasn’t an option for me.
6nBcC0TFL7pOfzPRYfzaiY.jpg

I was woken up at 6:30 this morning to hear my trucks horn blaring. Something set off its alarm. I checked around, but saw nothing, but zillions of birds in the yard and near the truck. Hopefully this is not going to be a routine thing.

I took it camping and broke the tires in on the dirt roads. I wasn’t at high enough elevation to get any snow, just rain. So far I’m liking the new tires over the original ones. Better grip off-road and better manners on road over the Goodyear AT’s that came on it. The new ones weigh more, but also have a higher load rating. The original tires were SL rated, but the new ones are E rated. A bit too much for the Tacoma, but for stock size I only had the options of SL, XL, and E. I would have been happy with C rated if it was offered in the size, but anything less wasn’t an option for me.
6nBcC0TFL7pOfzPRYfzaiY.jpg
Nothing worse to affect fuel economy, and performance is tires that weigh over 35 lbs, and are e rated for these gen3 v6 taco's. A fishing buddy had these 40 lb e rated 265 70 16's tires on his 2019 trd....said it killed his gas mileage, and made the transmission hunt like no tomorrow.

Nothing worse to affect fuel economy, and performance is tires that weigh over 35 lbs, and are e rated for these gen3 v6 taco's. A fishing buddy had these 40 lb e rated 265 70 16's tires on his 2019 trd....said it killed his gas mileage, and made the transmission hunt like no tomorrow.
The transmission already hunts too much. I’ve never had a vehicle that has that problem with a completely stock vehicle. I’ve seen a little hit on the mileage, but I’ll take that over the original SL rated tires.

I can tell you with the stock Firestone all season tires that weigh just over 30 lbs on my truck right now, deliver very good fuel economy ( well 22-23 mpg for a 4wd truck isn't terrible imo), plus my gen3 access cab v6 auto would absolutely smoke a buddies 2019 double cab auto v6 so bad it made him buy a newer frontier. I don't get any of that transmission hunting some keep complaining about. It's just a good running mid size truck. Imo, I think its a combination being a heavier double cab truck with heavier 265/70 all terrain tires these trd taco's come stock with that cause all the issues with these 3.5 engines. Add even heavier tires, and it magnifies the problem. Make these trucks lighter with less rotating weight...it's like adding 20 hp to them, especially when it comes to down low. As dodge claims...now your torquing.

Tires aren’t the biggest weight I have to deal with. What I carry in the bed is where the weight is.
5uxasRhDPsUh6TEgwApg0W.jpg

I can tell you with the stock Firestone all season tires that weigh just over 30 lbs on my truck right now, deliver very good fuel economy ( well 22-23 mpg for a 4wd truck isn't terrible imo), plus my gen3 access cab v6 auto would absolutely smoke a buddies 2019 double cab auto v6 so bad it made him buy a newer frontier. I don't get any of that transmission hunting some keep complaining about. It's just a good running mid size truck. Imo, I think its a combination being a heavier double cab truck with heavier 265/70 all terrain tires these trd taco's come stock with that cause all the issues with these 3.5 engines. Add even heavier tires, and it magnifies the problem. Make these trucks lighter with less rotating weight...it's like adding 20 hp to them, especially when it comes to down low. As dodge claims...now your torquing.
I’ve got the TRD off-road and it came with the Goodyear AT’s. I knew going with the heavier tire I would take a hit in the mpg’s, but something are worth the trade off.

Imo, something like an f-150 would be a better choice for a work/shop truck. Keep the taco all stock for everything else. When I had my shop, I had astro vans, and all full size trucks. My personal trucks were toyota pickups. Btw, its gotta be a pita at times trying to find what your looking for in that truck. When I organized my trucks, you needed to be efficient when on the job.

Imo, something like an f-150 would be a better choice for a work/shop truck. Keep the taco all stock for everything else. When I had my shop, I had astro vans, and all full size trucks. My personal trucks were toyota pickups. Btw, its gotta be a pita at times trying to find what your looking for in that truck. When I organized my trucks, you needed to be efficient when on the job.
I had a ram for a work truck, but it died. I'm using my Taco until I can find something else to use. I know where everything is in there. I just need to dig a little sometimes.

Drove into town this morning to hit the atm machine, and check out a new store that just opened, While at the atm, a f-350 weasel pulled in back of me. This truck was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think...even my taco had the shakes. Never heard a motor in any of these trucks make a screaming whistle type noise while idling either. Heck my lawn tractor at full throttle isn't that loud. I couldn't get my cash out of that machine quick enough, and leave. My ears are still ringing.

Today I dropped off my Leer camper shell so it can be sent back to the factory. In less than two months of ownership the paint around the passenger side window started peeling. It should take about 6-8 weeks to get my shell back.
7JZsfWdpFyZbewq2E6M9V3.jpg

I did an oil change to mine today. The Fumoto valve that I installed last time sure made this one easier and cleaner to do. I collected a sample to send to Blackstone labs for analysis. I’m thinking about getting a trd pro skid plate for its access door so I don’t have to remove the skid plate. It’s not hard to remove it, but it would be nice not to have to.
Afterwards I took my taco to get Chinese food for lunch. I think that they may have gotten to know me too well over the years after the fortune in the cookie I got today.
6eY4xEAkdgx0QFOyHR8Ddk.jpg

Last edited:
Loaded my pressure washer, and gear/hoses including some professional graffiti remover this noon, and drove my taco to meet my brother at my shop. Once there, my brother man's the pressure washer saying its all setup ready to go. Meanwhile we applied the graffiti remover to the buildings entire walI. I then went to fire up the pressure washer...frigging engine would run a few seconds, and quit. Tried again, and again with the same results. Pissed off I said let's just use the garden hose to wash this stuff off this remover needs to be washed off now!....the city water has good pressure. Well after applying this gorilla snot remover, and letting it set up a couple minutes, I washed the entire wall using just a hose, which looked amazingly clean of all the bs that some low life Aholes had tagged it with.
Still wondering why my pressure washer woiuldn't run, I asked my brother if he turned the fuel petcock on. WHATS A FUEL PETCOCK he blurts out?....I pointed to that red lever thats says fuel on/off.....it was still off from the ride down to the shop. I turned it on, and wouldn't you know it....engine fires right up, and runs like a watch...doesn't stop. Just shaking my head....It's hard to get good help these days. :mad:

Last edited:
Back