front brakes + rotors on gen2...

do you know if the anti-squeal shim kit things are reusable or does it need a new set with disc pad swap

there is no way to know what the dealer used on them a couple years ago to grease between the two until it is disassembled

The parts diagram show it as a separate piece

Or is that just for the Toyota brand pad from the dealership

Now I got all confused

Idk about the gen2, but on several toyota pickups owned, the anti squeal shims were a separate piece that attached to the inner brake pad.

Can't speak for the diagram you posted. I can speak for the pads I put on my Gem2 about 1 month ago.

In truth, the only parts needing a touch of high temp grease is the slide pins and the pad guides.

I realize that. It's just I've never taken the brakes apart on any of the older gen taco's. They were separate stainless shims on my tundra also.

Perhaps it was the design of the pads that I purchased. I do know the squeal devices were not separate parts. They were integral with the inner pad.

The actual structure of the parts is not an important point. The squealers are the inner pads and only very minor places need a touch of high temp grease.

i will take photo of aftermarket carquest pads i bot and can you tell me if the anti-squeal shim is a part of the pad or not?

I've never seen the anti squeal brake shims come with any aftermarket brake pads for a toyota truck. In fact, I've had nothing but bad luck with a lot of aftermarket pads for toyotas. Seems the toyota ceramic brake pads always worked best for me.

i have no clue what to expect from these carQuest premium pads bot at AAP for the Gen2

the last set of pads on the '97 (before i had the Yota dealer put on Yota pads recently) were some PowerStop brand which never made noise or such and lasted close to 80k miles

Brake pads last forever if you do mostly highway driving. I had EBC drilled, and slotted rotors on my tundra using the stock ceramic toyota pads. I had well over 100k miles on them before selling the truck. Most of the miles were a 50 mile round trip everyday to my shop for years on secondary highways, where there was a 45-50 mph speed limit.

Back